Canon 60Da vs XSi first impressions

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Canon 60Da vs XSi first impressions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

f***, I want to upgrade NOW.

I knew the XSi’s noise at ISO 800 was rough, I rarely shoot @ 400 let alone 800, but I’m shooting this 60Da @ ISO 2000 and seeing a smoother noise pattern. 😈

edit… an Nik’s Dfine 2.0 does a better job at eliminating what noise is there @ ISO2000 vs the XSi’s 800 too.

… anyone want to buy an XSi? 😆

ravnostic
    Participant

Nope. Saving up for the “very-low” rated at ISO 6400 6D myself. Only 3.5 weeks to go….

What takes me 2 minutes will take me 15 seconds. Far fewer chances for the gnats to fart during the exposure. Honestly, for a casual shooter, who’d pay for such a thing? But for astrophotography…it will take me to another level.

Only 2 overtime shifts left to work. Then waiting for the paycheck. It’s Killing. Me.

Barracuda
    Participant

Realized after coming home from shooting at the park tonight that it was shooting in JPG only… wonder if the internal JPG converter was doing something to reduce noise compared to the RAW coming from my XSi. Too late and too tired to do another comparison tonight. In other news 👿 I WAS SHOOTING IN JPG ONLY TONIGHT – WHY DIDN’T I NOTICE THAT SOONER – RAWWWRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fluffybunny
    Participant

I know that many Canon models do several things during the internal conversion, noise reduction is one of them. I believe there are options to turn it off or change it, but I would not know. The only reason I shoot RAW/small jpg is to have preview files that aren’t 25mB. Even my new fast desktop machine feels the pain on those images.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Oh yeah, I’ve been silently snickering while you’ve been talking about tasting the new models. I kinda figured it would increase your motivation to upgrade. How can you not? The jump in ISO noise performance alone is worth it. I just wish Canon was a little faster with technology sometimes. I can’t imagine what using a couple generations out from a 7D will be like.

ravnostic
    Participant

I wish they had upgraded the sensor on the 5Ti. I’m not waiting around for 6.

Barracuda
    Participant

So, how much do you think the price of a lightly used 60D is going to drop between now and November when the 70D is finally available? Thinking if I can pick one up or $550 now and flip it in 5 months for a moderate loss it may be worth it for the low light abilities. With the Texas summer heat setting in, I can see me doing more evening/night photography that the 60D would be far better for over my XSi.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Watch KEH and Canon’s refurb site.

Barracuda
    Participant

New in box off local Craigslist – so new the battery was sealed and the body was still in both the bubble wrap and the inner paper. Figure I’ll come out ahead this way over renting a 60D or any other body for any trips between now and when I’d be able to realistically afford the 70D.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Canon 60Da vs XSi first impressions’ is closed to new replies.