Curve shape

Forums Forums News Bibliostats Curve shape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    fluffybunny
    Participant

So, has anyone ever asked the question “Why does the votes vs. time curve always have the same shape?”

Has it been that way for all farkternity?

Just wondering. Always thinking.

orionid
    Participant

thursday morning: high as people are at work and not wanting to do real work.
    thurs eve: low, no one online.
    fri morning: low, people doing work to leave early
    fri eve: low, even the freaks and geeks go out and socialize
    sat across the day, moderate and steady, regulars voting and occasional people kicked back with laptops.

That’s been my theory for a while. No proof. Not even anecdotal.

fluffybunny
    Participant

So what about the step changes, particularly Sat and Sun around midnight?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I think we’ve got a fairly regular group of voters, each with their own preferred time that they usually vote, which is why it nearly always follows the same basic curve. Some of that is likely tied to time zones – think about peak voting periods in the US and then project those times to Europe or Asia.

As orionid said, a big chunk of the voting’s done Thursday; but some voters (myself included, but it varies quite a bit) wait until Sat to give everyone who’s going to enter a chance at it. I don’t think there are a lot of Sat voters, so each spike there is likely an individual voter (or at least a very small group).

fluffybunny
    Participant

Here’s a theory (work in progress):

Thurs 0000-0600, the narcissistic and vain farktographers are finished trying to jam their photos into Fark at the same time and can now embrace priority two: voting for their own entries. This part of the curve has an exponential build in because during their hysterical fervor it takes them a while to remember that they can only vote once.

Thurs 0600-1200, mainstream Fark has read all the good threads and now looks for a last resort excuse to continue not doing work at work. The curve tends to break or plateau here because the opportunity to eat has presented itself in the form of lunch.

Thurs 2200-2400, a comm satellite passes over the island of Yap in the Federated states of Micronesia, opening a small window of internet access to a dedicated group of farktographer fans who take turns peddling the bicycle generator and voting.

Fri 1000-1200, on average fark loses 3 members each week but it also gains 3 noobs. This happens precisely during this time and the newcomers are overwhelmed with joy at finding farktography and their voting buttons. Note that these 3 noobs will have lost that joy by the time the next contest rolls around so it’s all zero sum.

Fri 1400-1600, after a long lunch for those people who didn’t call in sick, the most effort that can be expended is the click of a mouse. Little thought is invested, essentially these are just random votes.

Fri 2200-0200 Sat, calling it a night but still feeling “tipsy”, these are the voting equivalent of “drunk dialing”.
    I love you man.

Sat 1400, the geriatric demographic has accidentally stumbled into the voting page and is pressing the button in response to re-runs of Alex Trebek’s answers. [ding] What is a belt onion?

Sun 2400, somewhere deep in the bowels of fark, a 4800 baud modem lights up and accepts an inbound telnet session. The visitor SU’s into the voting code and stacks the deck for some lucky winner.

I keed,…. ya’ll are good people. Glad to know you.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Here’s a theory (work in progress):

Bunnies aren’t just cute like everybody supposes,

They’ve got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses.

And what’s with all the carrots?

What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

Bunnies, bunnies, it must be bunnies!

…..or maybe midgets.

http://youtu.be/3gY8HilVZXQ

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

fluffybunny, LOL! You’ve put waaay too much thought into it, my friend. The rest of us have long ago given up on trying to figure out Fark voters, but you go right ahead and keep f***ing that chicken. 😆

ennuipoet, what the heck did I just watch?!? Are you sure it’s just Jameson talking? 😉

fluffybunny
    Participant

fluffybunny, LOL! You’ve put waaay too much thought into it, my friend. The rest of us have long ago given up on trying to figure out Fark voters, but you go right ahead and keep f***ing that chicken. 😆

ennuipoet, what the heck did I just watch?!? Are you sure it’s just Jameson talking? 😉

Yeah, I kinda avoided those links as I am on night shift. Will have to wait until morning.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

ennui’s is fine, I think it’s a scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (never saw it, so not entirely sure)?

Mine, I’d avoid at work. I’m not sure if that’s exactly what he’s saying, but it’s an old (in internet meme terms) clip from a Fox news program where one anchorman says that to another on air. No one to my knowledge has ever figured out what he was trying to say or meant by it.

Kestrana
    Participant

You guys make life worthwhile! The internet part of it, at least.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

** Doffs hat **
    Glad to be of service, ma’am. 😉

orionid
    Participant

You know, every time I see an orange-light on this thread, I read the title, think it’s a thread about low-key lighting for erotica, then get disappointed that it’s just another “voters suck” thread in disguise.

BOOBIES

/That is all.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

This part of the curve has an exponential build in because during their hysterical fervor it takes them a while to remember that they can only vote once.

One small correction here… You can vote as often as you like, just not for the same entry more than once. So I vote on Wed night (Pacific Time) then check in a couple more times before the voting closes on Saturday to check out new entries (and vote for them if I like them).

Farktographer
    Participant

This part of the curve has an exponential build in because during their hysterical fervor it takes them a while to remember that they can only vote once.

One small correction here… You can vote as often as you like, just not for the same entry more than once. So I vote on Wed night (Pacific Time) then check in a couple more times before the voting closes on Saturday to check out new entries (and vote for them if I like them).

Similar – I’ll usually throw up my photos and not bother voting (because not a lot of shots are posted yet), even for my own. I’ll wait about 8 hours, go for a round of voting, and then check back about once a day for any new shots.

Kestrana
    Participant

Thurs 2200-2400, a comm satellite passes over the island of Yap in the Federated states of Micronesia, opening a small window of internet access to a dedicated group of farktographer fans who take turns peddling the bicycle generator and voting.

I think this is far more likely than everyone thinks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Curve shape’ is closed to new replies.