DPI for presentation?

Forums Forums Projects and Collaborations Photoshoptography DPI for presentation?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

I’ve got an image I want to print and frame. Target size is 30″. Of course, I want this to look as appealing as I can manage, and at that size I’m expecting folks to be looking at it from maybe 2-3 feet (this is an entry for the state fair… my friends have finally succeeded in twisting my arm into entering it). What DPI on the final print do I need to shoot for? No reduction gives me less than 600, but I’m well above 300 DPI for that size. Is 300 enough?

Kestrana
    Participant

For book publication 300 dpi is the minimum so it’s probably “enough” but if it’s a minimal cost to increase the dpi you’re probably only going to be better off.

chupathingie
    Participant

Would it make more sense to reduce the final size to allow a 2:1 reduction and get 600? The reduction would help me as far as noise goes; it’s a high-contrast image and reduction would help a lot with the speckling up on the high end of the histogram…

Kestrana
    Participant

If your image is noisy then yes I would suggest reducing the size especially if it’s a black and white image. Printing will show more dust and noise than looking at it on the computer screen. Can you get 600 at 24″? That’s a good size for matting and public viewing without compromising the detail of the image.

chupathingie
    Participant

/me breaks out calculator

It’s color, BTW. 24″ gives me 590 without reduction. The original is 14.1K width. I’m trying to be as gentle in post-processing as I can, as well as only applying global filters (it’s a photography entry, not a PS thing; so I’m trying to stick close to analog equivalents).

olavf
    Participant

Framed is acceptable at your State Fair? That’s a no-no here in CA. Same with the County 😛

But, check with your printer – I don’t think many of them go over 300dpi anyhow. Unless I’m reading it wrong.

I usually don’t print over 11x14ish so sending 350 hasn’t been a problem at all

chupathingie
    Participant

Good to hear the diffs. Yep, they expect it framed with attached hangar. I’m guessing they want to make it easily displayable. Part contest, part exhibition. I’m planning on as minimal a frame as I can get away with, of course.

Their forum, their rules, I guess.

aprillove20
    Participant

Well, I totally agree with Kestrana ideas.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘DPI for presentation?’ is closed to new replies.