FAQ: General Stuff for Farktography Book

Forums Forums Projects and Collaborations Projects FAQ: General Stuff for Farktography Book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

Here are some frequently asked questions so far:

Q: What is this project?

A: In 2008 Killerclaw suggested creating a coffee table book of Farktography photos. When I joined in 2009 I was interested in participating. Earlier this year I approached Drew Curtis about getting permission to use the names “Farktography” and “fark.com” in a self-published book. Drew had another idea, use his remaining book contract, agent and publisher to professionally publish our book. So now I am taking on the job of actually putting the project together with help from others here at farktography.

Q: What happens to the book proceeds?

A: A small portion of the proceeds will be used to support a Fark Party. The rest will be used for charity.

Q: Is a charity selected?

A: At this time we are taking suggestions for charities. Drew has suggested using the money to generate publicity and more money by hiring a celebrity chef and auctioning off the seats for a meal.

Q: What is the final price for the book?

A: We are aiming for a price point between $30-$40

Q: Will there be a discount for participants?

A: I don’t know yet, that will be at the publisher’s discretion. I will advise when I know.

Q: Do you need large versions of my pictures?

A: Yes, a minimum of 640 pixels and 300 dpi is necessary but larger files are better. If you have the option for AdobeRGB hi-res .JPG that is a good choice.

Q: When will the book be printed?

A: Probably before summer 2011. It depends how quickly people are able to respond and confirm we can use their pictures and how quickly the layout is finished and the publisher greenlights it.

Q: Will my real name be shown in the book?

A: The text for captions including your fark handle, name and titles are at your discretion. See the form that was sent.

Q: I have other questions that aren’t answered here.

A: Post in this thread or email farktographybook (at) gmail (dot) com.

justkat
    Participant

FWIW — and having done a little research into self-publishing 😉 — I highly doubt the publisher will give a participant discount. Particularly in view of the fact that I don’t think there will be a HUGE amount of sales outside of participants. It would be rockin’ and nifty if there were, and by the gods there’s no reason anyone shouldn’t love a book like it’s going to be. But unless we’re planning to try to shop it out to an agent to get it published by a big name, there isn’t a whole lot of chance that it will be selling out at Borders.

/but wouldn’t that be sooooooo cool? 😀

Kestrana
    Participant

But unless we’re planning to try to shop it out to an agent to get it published by a big name, there isn’t a whole lot of chance that it will be selling out at Borders.

/but wouldn’t that be sooooooo cool? 😀

Actually, yes this is what we are doing. I guess it’s buried in the thread but that’s why we needed a complicated legal form. If we were just self-publishing I’d have a two sentence thing for you to sign and be mostly done already.

Kestrana
    Participant

I updated the FAQ to explain how we got to this point in a nutshell.

Kestrana
    Participant

And I have pretty solid reasoning for a sales estimate of 5000 books, when I get a chance this weekend I’ll be going through what needs to be done next and how people can help.

QueenBee
    Participant

wow really? a sales estimate of 5000 for a somewhat random coffee book is pretty awesome

orionid
    Participant

wow really? a sales estimate of 5000 for a somewhat random coffee book is pretty awesome

Fark has over a million subscribers. 5000 is 1/2 of one percent of that.

QueenBee
    Participant

Fark has over a million subscribers. 5000 is 1/2 of one percent of that.

makes sense…but still seems like a lot of people…especially for people who complain over 5 bucks 😛

Kestrana
    Participant

135 individual photographers are selected for the book. If each of those people buys an average of 2 copies, and their friends and relatives buy an average of 5 copies there is 1000 copies just off of people with a direct interest in the book.
    5300 people have ever participated in farktography. If you take 25% of those people having an indirect interest in the book, that’s another 1300 books.
    Fark has a million subscribers. If .25 of a percent are interested in the book without having played in Farktography, that’s another 2500 books.
    That leaves only 200 books we need to beat the streets and sell to the general populace – and that’s not counting the people who might buy based on advertising on fark that aren’t subscribers or locals that we use our direct marketing campaign to reach.

SilverStag
    Participant

At 40 dollars I’ll be hard-pressed to buy even one.

linguine
    Participant

Im guessing we should get at least a free plug on fark about the book and based off of the high responses there have been to other charity fundraisers on fark before I’d guess if we mention that proceeds are going to charity we’ll probably be able to sell a decent number to general farkers.

lokisbong
    Participant

I plan on getting a copy if I have to sell an kidney or something. I have a feeling I can convince my parents to buy one also. They think its really cool that the proceeds are going to charity.

Kestrana
    Participant

At 40 dollars I’ll be hard-pressed to buy even one.

That’s the high end guess. I’m shooting for $24.99 but honestly won’t know for awhile.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ll count on the Facebook post, “Buy this book–my pictures are in it” to carry my share of the load. If only myspace were what it was back in the day. I’d have done sold 100 copies back then, pretty easily.

p.s. Kes, this past weekend wasn’t productive, this next weekend I’ll be traveling across country, but I assure you I WILL get the form filled out as soon as I possibly can.

wrayvynn
    Participant

Save the Ta-ta’s!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘FAQ: General Stuff for Farktography Book’ is closed to new replies.