Farktographers and Film

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Pollage Farktographers and Film

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

How many of you folks have *never* used a film camera?
    I’ve set up a little poll here to get a feel for how film is used
    in our little coterie. Please participate!

Kestrana
    Participant

Film is fun!

orionid
    Participant

Film is fun!

Fact.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

There’s no option for “I own a shit ton of film cameras and shoot film occasionally, but would really like to shoot them more often” 😉

linguine
    Participant

Ive still got my film slr but I don’t think I’ve used it since switching to the darkside(film to digital or canon to nikon, take your pick). I’d pull it out and play with it if I had access to a darkroom again though.

sleeping
    Participant

There’s no option for “I own a shit ton of film cameras and shoot film occasionally, but would really like to shoot them more often” 😉

[Like]

Yugoboy
    Participant

I don’t see an option for: set up your darkroom equipment asshole, and get more film shot…

I’ve got 2 functioning film cameras I haven’t used in a coon’s age, with a few rolls of film left un-shot. I’ve got an enlarger and all the stuff but haven’t bought the chems to do the work.

About the same time as I got my darkroom equipment, my wife got me a copy of PS Elements, and I largely abandoned film. Now that I’ve discovered this place, I’m beginning to get the urge tinkling the base of my skull. We’ll see.

(I’ve got a third film body I need a lens for to see if it’s light tight… at least then I’d still have 1 more film camera than digital)

lokisbong
    Participant

I have mostly just been a digital guy since I started photography. I have a pair of super cheap 35mm cameras that I have not even shot a roll of film through each. One came in a supposedly water proof housing that failed the first time I tried to use it in a swimming pool. and the other camera got dropped and the case has some electric tape holding it together so I am not sure it doesn’t have major light leaking issues. I need to drag it out and finish the roll and get it developed and find out.

Curious
    Participant

[Like]

most (using just total numbers) of the film cameras i have are semi collectibles. by which i mean they are crappy instamatics, disc cameras, etc.

i want to shot a roll through my mom’s old argus just for giggles. also the rolleiflex again just for giggles.

i keep a minolta freedom zoom on both my camera bags but haven’t used the 90 in years and don’t think i’ve ever used the 115. bought it on sale to have for a backup to digital.

i also want to shot the XD-11 with it’s zooms just to compare then to my digital zooms.

so far i haven’t selected a good day trip to do all that. but i’ll let you know what happens.

clouddancer
    Participant

The only film cameras I’ve ever used (besides disposables) weren’t mine, they belonged to my parents. My Dad has an SLR Minolta with one or two lenses and a flash unit. Other than that, there was an Olympus point and shoot film camera we had. Mom and Dad took that to Australia and somehow it got dropped and the readout (# of pics left display thing) got all messed up and doesn’t work any more. I took it with me on my summer trip to Alaska and shot about 8 or 9 rolls and had them all developed and printed but somewhere along the way after a few moves lost the negatives. After that, I hadn’t had my own camera until about 5 years ago when we were given the Kodak point and shoot at our baby shower for Atrus. Even Mom has a Canon P&S now. Dad uses it on occasion, but he’s not taking pictures much any more. On the one hand, I’m kind of jealous of all you who still have the film and use it, especially since some of you who do that also have your own dark room stuff. That said, I have neither the time nor inclination to pick that up as well. Between scrapbooking, photography, full time transcription work from home in the evenings, a 5-year-old who is starting kindergarten in the fall, an almost 1-year-old who is pretty much attached to me, housework, husband working almost full time during the summer but going to school full time in the fall, plus the depression I’ve never really gotten under control, I’m pretty full up for things to do. Maybe some day I’ll have fun with film.

orionid
    Participant

most (using just total numbers) of the film cameras i have are semi collectibles. by which i mean they are crappy instamatics, disc cameras, etc.

And? What’s stopping you from using them? 😉

Curious
    Participant

i can’t find 110 film. the disc camera is kind of cool but again no film.

and i never really was a fan of SX-70s or Kodak EK4s 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Fair ’nuff.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

My biggest barrier to using film cameras more often is how irritating my current scanner is. I bought it on a whim at Fry’s without doing enough research and then found out it’s not supported on Linux. And since my Windows system is seriously underpowered, that makes me a grumpy negative scanner… If/When I get a replacement scanner I’ll start using the film cameras more. Digital is just too convenient for me to ever switch back for good. But I love the uncertainty and occasion randomness of film, especially with oddball cameras that are prone to distorting images. I bought two Lomo’s on vacation in Prague years ago and I’d definitely start carrying them in my gear bag again.

ennuipoet
    Participant

i can’t find 110 film. the disc camera is kind of cool but again no film.

and i never really was a fan of SX-70s or Kodak EK4s :)[/quote]

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Film-/4201/i.html?_dmpt=US_Camera_Film&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&Format=110%2520Print|Disc

Dwayne’s still does runs of 110 and Disc film if you are of a mind to actually shoot some

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • The topic ‘Farktographers and Film’ is closed to new replies.