Feature Requests & Bug Reports

Forums Forums News Bibliostats Feature Requests & Bug Reports

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

All time highest votes for individuals and photos might be cool. I think your sliding scale is good. I can’t wait to see individual stats pages again!

orionid
    Participant

“Full of Win” Contests ranked by average votes per photo.

orionid
    Participant

At your leisure, is there any chance you could add this:

to the bottom of the page, too. That way hitting “home” is no longer required after scrolling to be able to get to the next page.

Kthanxbai.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve been bothered with that since shortly after going live. I went as far as looking into it briefly, but decided major functionality was probably a higher priority than a nice-to-have. It is definitely on the to-do list, though.

nobigdeal
    Participant

At your leisure, is there any chance you could add this:

to the bottom of the page, too. That way hitting “home” is no longer required after scrolling to be able to get to the next page.

Kthanxbai.

Do what I do, click the “all” button!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Request For Feedback

As I’m starting to get into the stats pages, I’d like some feedback from y’all on a couple of topics.

First, these are the ranking lists I’m thinking of:

• Best average place
    • Most first places
    • Most top tens
    • Best average top tens per contest
    • Best average votes/NVC per entry
    • Best total votes/NVC
    • Best entries by votes/nvc
    • Best contests by total votes

I’m going to provide these for 3 time spans: Sliding Quarter, Sliding Year, and Overall where SQ covers the last 3 months or 12 contests, SY covers the last year or 52 contests, and Overall covers everything back to contest #7 (where the rules were first standardized).

Question #1: Are there any other ranking lists you’d like to see? (Note that individual stats will eventually appear on your personal user pages.)

Question #2: What do you think should be the criteria to be considered for these lists?

Here’s the problem: Someone pops into a contest with a perfect shot for that contest and gets a top ten. Let’s say he got 5th. That’s his one and only entry ever, so his average place is 5th. In comparison, U-Man, who leads the FSM best average place list, has an average of around 18th, but he’s also entered a large number of entries/contests.

For the “absolute” (non-average) lists, I think everyone should be eligible. For the average lists, I’m thinking of this:

• Sliding Quarter/Year: Contestants must enter 60% of the contests for that period (minimum passing grade of D in school) with an average of 1.5 entries per contest entered to make and remain on those lists
    • Overall: Contestants make the overall (best evar) lists after entering 50 entries. Once on the list, it’s permanent.

For example, here’s the breakdown for making and staying on the SQ lists:

Minimum   Minimum
    Week Contests Entries
    ----

1 1 2
    2 1 2
    3 2 3
    4 2 3
    5 3 5
    6 4 6
    7 4 6
    8 5 8
    9 5 8
    10 6 9
    11 7 11
    12 7 11

ravnostic
    Participant

CISS, a comment in the “15 Minutes” thread by Zero Exponent got me thinking about this.

The “NVC” gives you a stat indicating one’s votes if the total number of votes were 1,000 in number.

What about a “NRP” (Normalized Ranking Placement) if the total number of entries were 100?

Granted, most contests have at least 100 entries, some over 200, but what if there were exactly 100 entries? I have often looked at my placement and thought ‘well, I didn’t get in the top 10 this week, but one picture did make it into the top ten-percentile.’ In a contest of 200 pictures, 20th place (10th NRP), even 40th place (20th NRP), isn’t anything to scoff at, IMO.

Just a thought. As I’ve said; I’m a numbers guy.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

CISS, a comment in the “15 Minutes” thread by Zero Exponent got me thinking about this.

The “NVC” gives you a stat indicating one’s votes if the total number of votes were 1,000 in number.

What about a “NRP” (Normalized Ranking Placement) if the total number of entries were 100?

Granted, most contests have at least 100 entries, some over 200, but what if there were exactly 100 entries? I have often looked at my placement and thought ‘well, I didn’t get in the top 10 this week, but one picture did make it into the top ten-percentile.’ In a contest of 200 pictures, 20th place (10th NRP), even 40th place (20th NRP), isn’t anything to scoff at, IMO.

Just a thought. As I’ve said; I’m a numbers guy.

^^ This.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

You guys are my kinda guys! But I’m way ahead of ya. 🙂

Would either of you (or anyone else that browses this thread) be interested in an Excel 2007 spreadsheet showing some of the stats related to this that I’ve toyed with? It’d require either Excel 2007 (if you wanted to play with it yourself) or the Excel 2007 viewer (free from Microsoft).

It’s just got 8 contests in it, but I was playing with this very idea and graphing it versus entry counts and votes just to see what the data showed. It’s pretty interesting, if you’re into that sort of thing (which I know at least you two are).

As far as applying it to the website, I’m not sure yet just how much will make it there. It’d be a lot of work and I don’t really have a feel for how many hardcore stats brethren we have out there. At a minimum, I could include something that indicated a percentile, next to the place perhaps.

Here’s an example (from the Book of Armaments contest) of what I’ve got for each of the 8 contests in the spreadsheet:

• NVC vs Place – In this chart, the x-axis isn’t linear but rather shows the discrete places from the contest. NVC isn’t cumulative but shows the NVC required to obtain that place. What you can see from this chart is the delta NVC required to move from one place to the next. What I find really interesting is that it’s usually pretty linear until the top few places. In this particular example, you can see that there’s a huge jump required to go from 2nd to 1st.
    • NVC vs NP – NP is Normalized Place or what you’ve called NRP, rav. In this chart, NVC is cumulative so 1st place is always at 1000 NVC. This gives you an idea of the distribution of votes and the relative “top-heavyness” of the contest. The flatter the curve, the more even the vote distribution (which could arguably be interpreted to mean the more competitive the contest). In this particular example, you can see that half of the votes (500 NVC) went to the top ~25% of entries.
    • Total Votes vs Place – This is a pie chart showing the percentage of total votes that went to each group of places. In this example we see that 19% of the vote went to the top ten places.
    • Total Votes vs NP – Same as the above except with NP. Here we see that 28% of the vote went to the top 10% of entries.
    • Entry Counts vs Place – Same as above except with entry counts instead of total votes. This example shows that 14% of entries placed in the top 20.
    • Entry Counts vs NP – Same as previous except with NP. This example shows that 11% of the entries placed in the top 10%.
    • Compartive NVC vs NP – NVC vs NP for the 8 contests in the spreadsheet. You can see that Dirty Pictures was the least and Classical Elements the most evenly distributed.
    ravnostic
    Participant

**I think I just wet myself a little.** 😳

I love stuff like this. I could look at numbers and charts and pies all day. 😛

Do you suppose the Open Office program would work with your toyz? If so, send ’em on! rav (the at thingy) ravnostic (the dot thingy) com.

Meanwhile, I doubt there’s a significant portion of the community that would warrant adding all these toyz to the site, esp. given the work that must be involved (and keeping in mind if changes happen to fark–you might have to change things with b.stats–and the more you do with it, the more re-working you’d need to do.)

However (and there’s always a however), perhaps if you could maybe be open to the occasional requests regarding such stuff, or maybe some sort of quarterly post in the forum for us number geeks? 😀

😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ll see what I can do, rav. Right now, because it’s all just a spreadsheet, there’d be a lot of manual work required for each contest. But when I get more of the core functionality of the site up, I could look at automating this and publishing it on some recurring basis.

In the meantime, I sent you an email with both Open Document and native format versions of the spreadsheet. Hopefully you’ll be able to play with one of those.

SilverStag
    Participant

I’d like to ask for a pony:

When you look at “All” of your entries, it would be convenient to have them displayed as a gigantic dump of thumbnails, to maximize the number of photos displayed on a page.

My reasoning? When I look at “All”, I’m really just trying to determine if I’ve used a particular photo in a contest before. I don’t need to know what contest it was in, I just need to see as many of my entries as quickly as possible, to scan through them. The layout space wasted on segregating the entries into contests and listing votes and crap is just that, wasted space, and gets in the way of quickly gleaning the information I need from that page. Reading places and NVCs etc is demoralizing, anyway.

Alternatively, we need a way to enter a URL to see if it comes up in some kind of a Scarlet R search.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Alternatively, we need a way to enter a URL to see if it comes up in some kind of a Scarlet R search.

That’s actually on my short list of to-do’s, SilverStag. As for the other, I could possibly add something like an “Unformatted” sort order that would do what you’re looking for. I’ll add that to the list.

ravnostic
    Participant

I’m noticing at the time of this writing that the votes are 33% up from the current year average (“Where the Wild Things Are”, Friday 9am MST(PDT), 2052 vs ~1500). Maybe not Tolkien or Herbert epic, but perhaps Rowling or King epic. This got me looking at Schnee’s site, and some of the stuff there.

And don’t get me wrong. When I open my browser and it shows me the icons of my most visited sites, you’re on the top row. Me wants it, I’m your biggest fan.*

But it would be cool to see the top contests (evar and recently), greatest entries (e&r), and such. The graph of one’s vote history.

I’m sure you’re probably already working on it to some degree or another, as life permits–You’re end-of-contest stats show you have access to the figures. Any kind of due date?

//special shout out to Schnee–miss your site–but CISS is doing your legacy proud. See you occasionally in the contests!!

***note the Tolkien~King tie-in there, yeah? 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

No offense taken, rav, I know where you’re coming from. But yeah, I’ve got all kinds of grand ideas that I wanna implement, and you’re right that I’ve already got the data for most of it. Charts out the wazoo. Comparitive stats of every kind, both from a contest and contestant view. The ability to popup the original image from the thumbs.

The problem as you state it is the “as life permits” restriction. I’ve gotta get “feel like working on it” to align with “free time to do so” (the latter being much more of the issue than the former) and unfortunately that’s been a rare occurrence for most of this year. When regular work keeps me at the desk for 10 hours a day, I get flack from the family if I turn around after dinner and head back down to “play”. Heck, I’ve been phoning it in for the contests for most of the recent past; can’t remember when I last had the opportunity to actually shoot specifically for a contest. Probably Alphabet.

Anyway, don’t take that as whining or seeking pity, I enjoy working on the site, I just wish I had more time to do it. I can’t give an ETA on specfic features, but I am close to having a real index/search for usernames, which will be followed shortly by the same for contests (along with a tag cloud). After that will come contestant comparitive stats (like the SQ top tens) and then contest comparitive stats and then contestant and contest history stats/charts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Feature Requests & Bug Reports’ is closed to new replies.