Full Frame (aka: spent more than I have any right to)

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Full Frame (aka: spent more than I have any right to)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

So it was about this time last year as I prepared for my Yellowstone trip that I decided to make the jump from the XSi to the 60D, knowing that I probably wouldn’t be able to get a 70D before the trip.

Now I’m getting ready for my Pacific NW trip… and was thinking about finally getting that 70D.

Instead I have a 6D and a 24-105L in transit.

oops.

😯 🙂 😈

Know I’ll want an ultra-wide for the trip, so either I’ll take the 60D and the 11-16 for the ultra wide needs, or more likely rent something, or really empty the bank account and pick up a FF ultra wide… or some combination of the above. After all, I did pull back from complete insanity and didn’t buy the lightly used 5D mkIII…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I know that feeling, ‘Cuda. But hey, it’s only money, right? 🙂 I mean, what else are ya gonna do with it? Pay bills, save for retirement – those things are boring!

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase! I looked at the 24-105 but ended up going with the 24-70 since I already had the 70-200 so that overlap was covered. I’m not sure if the extra f/stop was worth the loss of IS but the 24-70 is my standard goto lens now.

I also faced the same dilemma with the loss of my EF-S wide lens when I went FF (I’ve got the EF-S 10-22) but I decided to try a “fun” lens and went with the 8-15 fisheye. It’s nice and I’m glad I have it but I find that I’d still like to have a normal wide angle sometimes.

Finally, WTH man?!? Didn’t you just return from a Pacific NW trip? It’s not fair you’re going again already! 😉

Barracuda
    Participant

Well after looking at the cost to rent a UWA for the trip, decided it would be better just to buy a 17-40L. Probably sell my 11-16mm (or go crazy and mod it to fit the FF). So from 0 L lenses and a crop to two L lenses and a full frame, yup, that drained the funds, may end up having to sleep in the car on the PNW trip…

Last trip was Seattle/Vashon island – more of a family trip. This is a longer, and part of it will be with my folks, but about half of the time is going to be purely a photo trip. Flying into Seattle (cheaper than Portland), quick stop or two as I drive down to Portland, then though the Willamette valley and on to the coast stopping in Newport where my folks have a summer home. Couple days there (hope to get some photo time in the harbor and a run down to Thor’s Well) before heading back inland and back north to Mt. Hood and Columbia River Gorge. Then an evening at Cannon Beach, then north up to the Olympic Peninsula for a couple nights.

Yup, going to need that extra 16GB card that came with the 6D… yup…

orionid
    Participant

I just sold 20 years worth of a trading card collection to snag a FF 14-24 F/2.8. No regrets.

DO EET!

Barracuda
    Participant

17-40L f4 being picked up Friday morning. So for those keeping score, that’s 0L’s to 2L’s in 24hrs. Will be selling the 11-16mm Tokina to help cover the cost. (anyone interested…?)

orionid
    Participant

Nice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Full Frame (aka: spent more than I have any right to)’ is closed to new replies.