Hosting Options

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    andyofne
    Participant

I’m using 1and1. Never had a problem.

I have a couple sites on 1and1. Not a problem.

Yeah, I signed up for the free hosting and now I have something like 15 domains hosted there on two business packages.

orionid
    Participant

Use my own hosting with godaddy. Pay for 30gbit/month for my entire site. No problem, never been close to my limit

schnee
    Participant

I did a quick run through with the FSM to see what hosts we have used collectively. We’ve used over 1400 different hosts; here are the ones that have served 100 or more entries:

Domain URLs
    flickr.com 8549
    imageshack.us 4054
    photobucket.com 3890
    pbase.com 710
    stevecollis.com 472
    tinypic.com 432
    imageevent.com 363
    comcast.net 346
    totalupload.com 344
    mac.com 308
    smugmug.com 307
    davesweblife.com 273
    gwennick.com 200
    yelley.com 190
    ogra.ph 184
    staplermofo.com 171
    humbug.org 165
    livejournal.com 162
    undergroundbastard.com 159
    echo.cx 134
    mit.edu 127
    farkimages.com 123
    google.com 117
    ggpht.com 110
    lotusimages.com 109
    photodump.com 106
    insightbb.com 102
    hostimage.org 100

(holy FSM, I hate trying to format data)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s good to know, thanks schnee!

orionid
    Participant

Is it bad if I’m recognizing alot of the personal domains on that list?

staplermofo
    Participant

I beat MIT!

….I`ve gotta write a fight song.

corsec67
    Participant

Sweet, I am in the middle of that list!

(Although, cutting my domain name in half really ruins the awesome name: farkt.ogra.ph, instead of just ogra.ph)

/Hosted on dreamhost, which hasn’t had any problems that I can tell recently.
    //Now that I have said that, it is going down tonight like crazy.

jpatten
    Participant

i have flickr pro… no issues so far.

soosh
    Participant

i’m surpised I’m not up there. I have 187 entries in my farktography profile, and they’re all hosted on my web server, but they are broken up into two domains which essentially point to the same space, sacredartichoke.com and abandoned-alaska.com. I guess neither one of them brok 100 on their own.

staplermofo
    Participant

I just wanted to follow up, saying dreamhost sucks. My site has been down for the past two contests, is down right now, and blah blah blah wah wah wah.

corsec67
    Participant

I just wanted to follow up, saying dreamhost sucks. My site has been down for the past two contests, is down right now, and blah blah blah wah wah wah.

I am on dreamhost too, and haven’t had any issues with the past 2 contests.

It seems like it is really dependent on which host you get on Dreamhost, so their consistency definitely sucks.

staplermofo
    Participant

What’s really weird, and also very suspicious, is that while staplermofo.com is down, morethanstaplers.com is still up.
    They’re on the same everything, but staplermofo.com gets like 100x as much traffic.

I can ftp into it fine and everything.

I’m pretty angry about it, but at least I didn’t eat dog cheese. (it comes up around 8 minutes in)

Maybe I’ll switch to godaddy…

lokisbong
    Participant

I switched to flickr around January because imageshack kept spazzing out on me. I just went flickr pro last night. I like the fact it lets me see the original size on the biggest pictures. flickr has been very stable for me.

corsec67
    Participant

I switched to flickr around January because imageshack kept spazzing out on me. I just went flickr pro last night. I like the fact it lets me see the original size on the biggest pictures. flickr has been very stable for me.

Just make sure that you mark NSFW/borderline images appropriately, since Flickr will make your entire profile “Adults only” with no explanation or recourse.

That happened to me, so I moved to Ipernity.

Curious
    Participant

thanks schnee for the info. i’m in the middle of the list with 273. not too shabby for just under 4 years. the site is hosted at lunar pages and overall i’ve been happy with them. like all the paid sites the bandwidth and storage have gone up while the cost has gone down.

one caveat re personal sites. i just found out there might be a trojan on my site and what i’m getting told is: 1) the hosting company monitors and protects their servers rigorously 2) if your site is hacked it’s your fault and up to you to fix it. so now i need to learn a whole lot more about what happens under the hood and then go through the site and find/fix whatever might be broken. yeah this will end well.

i also have a flickr pro account but that is for ease of sharing stuff over a much wider group of folks.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • The topic ‘Hosting Options’ is closed to new replies.