I got me a model, tips on how to get the best shots?

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks I got me a model, tips on how to get the best shots?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

This is from the D&D theme thread, but could quickly digress off topic, so I’m moving it over here.

And, oh, hai! I got invited by my gorgeous female amazon friend (she’s 6’1″ and likes heels, used to model, absolutely stunning figure) to do portraiture of her over the Christmas break! I’m very excited. I’ve been practicing my portraiture with neighbors and family, it’s my first invite to do so…

Shooting strangers (with a camera) can be intimidating. In my experience, the easiest, most forgiving light is…shade. Shoot outside, find some shade and use one diffused flash. If you can, get the flash off of your camera. If not, dial it down to just light your subject a bit more than the surroundings.

Easy-peasy.

She’s not a stranger–she’s one of the ‘big’ people from MySpace when MySpace still had any people to be big. And before it’s demise, I got big enough that I started meeting the big people IRL.

I had the fortune of meeting her back in the day and went clubbing with her and another power-blogger in Scottsdale.

She loves me–I’m gay, I’m tall, I’m thin, I’m the perfect accompaniment for her to any social situation for a hot 6’1″ MILF who just wants to have a good time.

But she’s never asked me to take pictures. She can probably offer me tips to improve my portraiture skills with composition, given her previous experience. And, if I’m going to post portraits, I can’t ask for a better model.

//There was a great article in this past year’s Pop Photo about outdoor lighting and portraiture.

[crosses fingers that pictures do well….plans off-camera flash purchase options–which will be a first]

Other tips from our community? While I haven’t done OCF yet, I’ve kept up on the articles; I am likely to get the cheapest 2 or 3 I can find–placement of flash (distance, height) will probably be important if they aren’t adjustable. Or maybe I can just use lights? Thoughts? Bueller? Bueller?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Let me sing the praises of a reflector, particularly in outdoor portraits. The simple reflector does more to fill in shadows and provide a soft light for facial features than anything else you can conveniently carry or afford.

A major challenge you will run into is flattering lighting on a tall person. Standard portrait (Rembrandt) lighting is usually offset 45 degrees and 18 inches or so above eye level (to the subject). You can play with these numbers but unless you have light stands or an assistant, your model is either going to be seated or you are going to be very creative.

If you looking for some affordable Strobes and triggers, I bought a couple of YN560’s and Yongnuo triggers this Summer and have used them with good results. They can be a little frustrating to get the feel of at first, the instructions are not clear but once you get the hang of them they work beautifully. I bought two strobes, three triggers, gels and diffusers and still didn’t pay half of the price of 580EX.

Kestrana
    Participant

I don’t have any helpful advice other than it’s all about the lighting. And I love TrentChau’s work, if you want some ideas (although he mostly does nudes) on poses and props check out trentchau.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘I got me a model, tips on how to get the best shots?’ is closed to new replies.