New contest voting system

Forums Forums News Bibliostats New contest voting system

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Kestrana
    Participant

And FWIW, I sent an email in to admins just letting them know that the new voting kinda farked up Farktography statistics and we were concerned about the impact it would have on the contest.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t think we should count “funny” unless it counts as a totally separate thing, not combined with the “best” votes. Not all of our contests are “funny” type contests, so that category isn’t really going to apply very well on a weekly basis, and if anything, may actually make the contests devolve further into Fark memes and vote whoring to the exclusion of other stuff (yes, I know, it’s Farktography, not photography, but still–combining the two means the object of Farktography becomes something that’s both technically/artistically good AND funny, whether the theme calls for funny or not). Honestly, I would have kept Farktography as “best” only, but as ennuipoet mentioned, that wasn’t possible. For now, I think sleeping’s wait and see approach might be best.

ravnostic
    Participant

For this week, at least, it looks like ‘funny’ isn’t going to go far. Everything seems pretty serious. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol true. Ultimately, I think “best” and “funny” are different metrics, and should be counted separately as such. Combining them just doesn’t make much sense for Farktography, though I can see including both statistics on a weekly basis. No clue how it should be handled for short and long term aggregate stats, though. I guess I’d suggest separate for that as well.

U-Man
    Participant

There are things to accept ’cause you’re not going to change them – and I think this is one of them. I don’t like the two-vote thing. While I enjoy the funny, out-of-the-box photos as much as the next guy, I think that placing equal weight for a ‘funny’ vote as a ‘best’ vote cheapens farktography. We already play to the Fark crowd and that gives our contests a fun, quirky flavor. I’m cool with that. But a silly photo getting two votes and beating a better quality serious photo doesn’t sit well with me.

For now, I suggest that we count the “Best” votes as “The Votes” in all usual themes. We could report the “Funny” votes as a separate category. If a theme is pre-decided to encourage funny photos we might choose to count the total ‘Best and Funny’ for a grand total “The Votes”.

mopsy
    Participant

Don’t like it but agree we need to make the best of it. I tend to be a serious photo taker so will never get a funny vote. I think best and funny should be kept separate in the stats.

ravnostic
    Participant

Thought about it for a while. There’s going to be a new dynamic no matter what–if we thought the voters were unpredictable before….eash!

I agree with the separate tallies. That alone, though, would have changed the results of many past contests, and alters things going forward. We’ll just have to see how it plays out.

For my part, I’m sticking with the regular vote going for the ones most suited to the theme, and the funnies just going to the funnies. Unless funnies is the theme. In which case….oh, bother!

Yugoboy
    Participant

While I voted for “ignore funny” I’d like to see the counting kept separate mostly because most of our contests don’t really encourage “teh funnay.” Those that do (Apples v. Oranges, for example, or a Barbie one) will definitely benefit from the new scheme because concept can be separated from execution.

If we include Funny in the overall votes count, we (I think) begin the process of diluting the product we produce.

I’m getting beaten every week by product that is clearly better than what I’m contributing. I keep at it because if I can climb to the top, it will mean something. If I can achieve success merely by getting my niece to do something stupid, or if I start getting beat by weaker product that is non-creative slapstick/crap/whatever, it will be depressing and discouraging.

While I’ve largely quit participating in the PS threads for a variety of reasons, I am fairly confident that the new scheme will only encourage more cliche crap in those contests. I don’t think we need to encourage stupid-face shots, kick in the crotch shots, etc. Keep funny separate if we must count it at all.

Please.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I see many of you are saying we don’t like, but, we’ll get over it. Well done Farkers! 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As predicted, the “funny” votes are even more inscrutable than the “best” votes…there are a number of entries with “funny” votes that aren’t remotely what I would consider funny. Hell, I have one on my midway ride shot that was a B side for State Fair. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out…

orionid
    Participant

Apparently three people find bouys nailed to a wall as funny. With some well placed greenlights, the “funny” button could be used for some rather interesting research into group humor on the internet.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Apparently three people find bouys nailed to a wall as funny. With some well placed greenlights, the “funny” button could be used for some rather interesting research into group humor on the internet.

Some of the “Funny” votes are based on getting the pun. Without your caption, it wouldn’t have gotten the funny votes.

I only checked to see if anybody thought “Sexy Shop” was funny. Somebody did. Mostly funny votes are going to the cat photos.

It’s Fark… what did we expect?

lokisbong
    Participant

Yeah I would say only about a third of the “funny” votes were funny. Apparently sleeping kittens are funny? And I love Kestranas hdr sunset but I wouldn’t think that it was funny. I was going for funny with my pathways shot so at least it got a vote or two in the funny side. I still think sticking us with two vote buttons is not the best idea by far.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Don’t forget “funny” can mean not haha funny, as in odd or strange.

Kestrana
    Participant

I’m fine for counting them separately, but here’s why we should count Funny votes too:

A photo like ennuipoet‘s DM bag vs. my HDR shot. In the D&D theme, my HDR shot would have tanked and in Software Hootenanny the DM bag would have tanked.

In a theme like today’s, they have an equal shot at garnering votes.

But, now that the option for “best” and “funny” are both there, there is no stopping someone from voting “best” on mine and “funny” on ennuipoet‘s, where previously they would have probably just voted for both. If we don’t include Funny votes, we are discouraging people who may care about statistics (and even if you aren’t striving for votes, it hurts when you repeatedly suck in the polls) from posting photos that may be considered “Funny”, regardless of the photo’s technical merit. We didn’t ask for this change, but why discriminate against votes? [Technically voter discrimination is illegal 😉 ]

And with that said, I’m still in favor of just combining them into a Total votes for the winner. Especially because if you can create a humorous photo that’s also technically superior, I think you probably deserve to win.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘New contest voting system’ is closed to new replies.