New contest voting system

Forums Forums News Bibliostats New contest voting system

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

My dad introduced me to the song when I might have been 8. Don’t age me unnecessarily, senior citizen, or I may have to…whip. out. my. cane

gawd I’m exhausted…

lokisbong
    Participant

I had that and a bunch of goofy crap like that on an 8track tape when I was a youngster (8 or 10 at the oldest). I own several canes.I even have one with a glass doorknob for the handle made just for whippersnappers who tease me about being old . I guess I will get over the voting changes whether I like it or not right now.
    edited because I cannot write an easy to read sentance with out rereading it 4 times.

Kestrana
    Participant

Got a response from Drew re: new voting. He said to let him know what happens with us after a couple weeks and as he said “we’re never opposed to fixing something if it’s broken”. Whatever that means.

There’s other people pissed off about it, so maybe majority rules will revert to the old way.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, Drew’s been generally pretty receptive to feedback. If it looks like this is really screwing things up for us, I’m fairly confident we could get it addressed in some way.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Got a response from Drew re: new voting. He said to let him know what happens with us after a couple weeks and as he said “we’re never opposed to fixing something if it’s broken”. Whatever that means.

There’s other people pissed off about it, so maybe majority rules will revert to the old way.

This curmudgeon begins to be happy.

Honestly, I don’t give a squat about the comment thread changes (I’m trying to figure out which loser checks his comments for votes) but the changes are not too beneficial in Farktography IMHO (except, possibly, for the occasional intentional comedy contest).

I’d like to see a reversion to the old way for Farktography, at least. The various contest threads can probably be re-coded. I can see the need in most Photoshop threads as well as the caption contests, but Farktography is a different animal. Hell, even the caption contests probably could use just the “funny” button.

ravnostic
    Participant

I had that and a bunch of goofy crap like that on an 8track tape when I was a youngster (8 or 10 at the oldest). I own several canes.I even have one with a glass doorknob for the handle made just for whippersnappers who tease me about being old . I guess I will get over the voting changes whether I like it or not right now.
    edited because I cannot write an easy to read sentance with out rereading it 4 times.

Could you bump the font on that last bit, please? My eyes ain’t what they used to be, sonny…

Kestrana
    Participant

Copy + paste?

Kestrana
    Participant

I’d like to suggest something.

Have the boobies poster make a 2nd post right after the boobies stating “For this week’s contest, only “Best” votes will be counted”. See what happens. I can’t imagine we’ll get many bc it’s a serious contest.
    Next week, have the boobies poster make a 2nd post right after the boobies stating “For this week’s contest, only “Best” votes will be counted” and see how many “Funnies” we get in a funny contest.

lokisbong
    Participant

.[/size]

Could you bump the font on that last bit, please? My eyes ain’t what they used to be, sonny…

lol this from the guy who likes to shrink the font too. There you go gramps. Ok I fail at making it bigger.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

My two cents: keeping the best and funny stats separately does not bother me at all. Combining them in any way would be unfair, I think.

I like the idea of hiding usernames on the entries. Ideally, I want each photo to be judged on its own merit, not whether a voter likes the cut of my jib.

One other possible suggestion, for the ultimate in fairness: do not show vote totals until the voting is done. I know thats not likely to happen, but just wanted to put that up for consideration.

Farktography is not perfect, but its the best photo contest I’ve found on the net. The system we have is way better than some of the stuff out there. Anyone tried entering a Flickr group contest where the votes are public? The only setup worse than that was the one that had “judges” choose the winner …

… not even counting the “all entries become property of the contest holder” type because that is just some company looking to score some nice photos without having to shell out for a photographer. F*** that sh**!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Have the boobies poster make a 2nd post right after the boobies stating “For this week’s contest, only “Best” votes will be counted”. See what happens. I can’t imagine we’ll get many bc it’s a serious contest.
    Next week, have the boobies poster make a 2nd post right after the boobies stating “For this week’s contest, only “Best” votes will be counted” and see how many “Funnies” we get in a funny contest.

Sorry I didn’t’ get to this post before tonight! I think we have to be careful with this, though, because as far as Fark is concerned, both categories are counted. I guess we could say that Bibliostats or Farktography.net will only count the “Best” votes or “Funniest” votes on any given, but I think that’s potentially opening up another whole can of worms, determining which weeks to count what.

Kestrana
    Participant

Sorry I didn’t’ get to this post before tonight! I think we have to be careful with this, though, because as far as Fark is concerned, both categories are counted. I guess we could say that Bibliostats or Farktography.net will only count the “Best” votes or “Funniest” votes on any given, but I think that’s potentially opening up another whole can of worms, determining which weeks to count what.

The reason I brought it up is because Unfreakable did this exact thing in a recent poll thread.

I don’t remember off the top of my head which one it was, but I commented in it. Let me see if I can find it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

As in he shut off one or the other voting category?

Edited because re-reading your post I think you mean he took a poll and said he would only count one or the other category of voting. We could do that, I guess, but again, we’d have to plan ahead of time which categories to count or not count, and at this point, the voting indicates people want to count both separately.

Kestrana
    Participant

No, he made a post after his boobies post saying “Please only use the Best button. Funny votes won’t be counted for the results of this contest.” People could still use the button but he wasn’t going to be looking at the results for Funny. I meant to go back and look at the voting results to see if people paid attention to his post but for the life of me I cannot remember what the topic was and I can’t find a way to search for my posts, which I thought I had done before the site redesign.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Gotcha. Honestly, with the reaction running pretty strongly against the new voting system, it wouldn’t surprise me if the system gets tweaked in some way. I haven’t heard anything to that effect, but from seeing how other site issues were handled, it wouldn’t surprise me. I guess I would encourage anyone who has a strong feeling one way or the other about the new voting, particularly as it affects Farktography, to send a Farkback or email Drew directly.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘New contest voting system’ is closed to new replies.