Photo 52 Project

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Photo 52 Project

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I am contemplating taking on a photo project for the coming year. I have a basic idea for a theme and a general idea of frequency. (Definitely not a 365! I am thinking a shot a week and choose the Top 12 for and of year print) I was just wondering what if you guys had tried your hand at long term projects and what your experiences were. I know you’ve done a 365 or two Elsinore, anyone else?

lokisbong
    Participant

I am just wrapping up a picture a day /365 project at the end of this year. I have been late uploading a few times and I actually missed one day completely.
    I enjoyed the project most of the time even though I didn’t push myself to learn too much new stuff. Once in a while I would remember like five minutes before bed I had not picked up a camera all day and those days are pretty easy to spot. Some crappy pictures on those days for the most part. During nicer weather it had me out taking walks and actually getting some exercise which I really need lately. Wish it was warmer out… not sure how people like soosh do it in really cold places.
    Edited to add some thoughts. lol

Kestrana
    Participant

Haven’t done it before, but I am planning on doing a 366 project this year, starting Jan. 1! At least, until the world ends on Dec. 21.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Rather than honing technical skills (though this will include some of that) I envision this a lesson in creating a vision for cohesive project, shooting thematically for a gallery show. Not that it is intended to for a gallery show, but it COULD be. I want to follow a plan rather than shooting randomly. And models, I definitely want models! 😛

Yugoboy
    Participant

Rather than honing technical skills (though this will include some of that) I envision this a lesson in creating a vision for cohesive project, shooting thematically for a gallery show. Not that it is intended to for a gallery show, but it COULD be. I want to follow a plan rather than shooting randomly. And models, I definitely want models! 😛

You’re in NYC. There’s got to be at least 52 different (similar) locations. Definitely more than 52 intersections, parks, accessible roofs, subway stations or something. You just plan your 52 locations and then go there at least once a week. Shoot. Schedule with a/several/many models to meet you (or not) and voila! a project. Also useful if you take a vacation elsewhere. You can visit your similar space in another city and shoot there.

Hell… shoot street vendors. They’re usually amenable, especially if you buy something, and/or promise to include their info in your display (free advertising for them, free models for you)

ennuipoet
    Participant

I am (tentatively) working with exploring the noir idea I submitted as a theme early this week, riffing off this post on my blog

http://freeversephotography.com/freeversephotoblog/?p=3168

shooting locations and environments that look as though they are right out of Film Noir set, maybe expanding to cover some of the darker aspects of the psyche. (I know, it sounds pretentious, but it isn’t really). I’ve been bouncing the idea round in my head for a year or so. I know several grimy alleys and run down buildings in very posh areas. I really want to photograph a model standing in the pool of light in the middle of alley, in period attire. It may be reaching higher than my grasp but I am working on it.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I did the 365 thing in 09, tried again in 11 and made it three months before giving up. I may try a 52 this year with a theme. I haven’t decided one way or the other yet.

Kestrana
    Participant

I would love to work with period attire! And vintage cameras.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I would love to work with period attire! And vintage cameras.

Imagine recreating a 40’s crime scene photo trench coats, Graflex cameras all done in grainy black and white! That would be a cool Farktography meet up shot!

olavf
    Participant

I didn’t see this before I started the same topic in the pub & grill, so I’ll move it here:

I plan on going around and asking anyone and everyone I possibly can the question “Who are you?” and ask for a one-sentence answer. Then I’m taking portraits based on that answer. Friends, family, Farkers strangers, no one will be safe… I’m assembling the shots in a Google+ gallery for the moment, but will probably move them to a separate website down the road. Each portrait will be captioned with the person’s answer, and their first name, so there is a face, a description, and a name to tie the people all together.

The gallery is here: https://plus.google.com/photos/113330053950020592701/albums/5688619015693219969 with my own answer (some smart-ass challenged me) and a few shots I’ve been able to do in the week since I came up with the idea, if anyone is interested.

orionid
    Participant

Again, once we get to Cali, I’ll tell you as I’ve been described by others, I’m the most cultured redneck you’ll ever meet. You have to include the “As… described by others…” part so I don’t sound narcissistic.

olavf
    Participant

You got it Orionid. You may need to bring some flannel and a monocle though (kidding) 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Photo 52 Project’ is closed to new replies.