3-27-19 – In Memoriam: SilverStag

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-27-19 – In Memoriam: SilverStag

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

With SilverStag passing away this past week, I feel like we need a memorial thread, but I’m not sure what to do…any ideas?

Official theme description: SilverStag’s first Farktography contest was Contest #15 in 2005 (Nighttime Photography), pre-dating Elsinore by 36 contests. He was a regular from 2006-2013 and still managed to post occasionally between 2014 and his last contest in October 2018 (Shoot the Photographer). He was a man with ridiculously varied passions and interests. Therefore, in memorial to SilverStag, show us photos of things he was passionate about: planes, trains, travel, music, technology, the military, photography, and family.

For those who hadn’t seen it, his obituary is here: https://www.ghherrmann.com/obituaries/Philip-A-Jern?obId=4217411#/obituaryInfo

(Contest #725)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looking at his images on Bibliostats I see that he covered a wide range of images and styles. Of his higher placing images there are quite a number that are macro (several of the gears of a pocket watch) and a number of illuminated midway rides. Perhaps something along those lines?

The other thing that struck me was the number of images he posted that I have also captured – Indy Children’s Museum, Indianapolis Museum of Art, downtown Indy, Falls park in Pendleton. I doubt that we ever crossed paths but it would appear that he also was a central Indiana Hoosier. Does anyone have a link to his obituary?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thinking about his many central IN images, I’d suggest we re-do contest #126 (10-03-07) “Tourist In Your Own Town – Photograph the cool things in your town that tourists should go to see, and for some odd reason residents pass by or ignore.”

That theme has not been used again since #126.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Those are great ideas. And yes, he was a Central IN Hoosier. His full obit isn’t up yet, but this looks like the link to it: https://www.ghherrmann.com/obituaries/Philip-A-Jern?obId=4217411

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Ok, so I attended his service today, and in thinking about his memorial thread, I struck on the many things he was interested in and that were important to him. He was a pilot and photographer, he loved trains, he traveled extensively (partly because of his military service), he was a huge fan of classical music and opera, he was a huge tech geek/nerd, and he doted on his grandkids. He was an amazingly intelligent man with lots of interests, and when we’ve done memorial threads in the past, they’ve been about something that was important and/or resonated with the person. So I suggest we do a thread open to planes, trains, travel, music, technology, military, photography, and family. It’s a lot of different things, but that’s the kind of guy he was. And it also means there are a lot of subject options for people to post, even if they have to archive dive. I will edit the first post to reflect the theme description.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘3-27-19 – In Memoriam: SilverStag’ is closed to new replies.