something for the astro-types

Forums Forums Get Technical Software something for the astro-types

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

Potentially useful if you’re planning some sky-time:
    http://www.ccdware.com/downloads/

Scroll down to Weather Ninja 2.0, it’s free. For US and Canada only, for now, but compiles quite a bit of weather data into a single app so you can decide if it’s worth packing the gear out to a location to shoot subs. Windows only, looks like, and I have not tried to run it in wine yet. If I get a chance this evening I’ll see if it can be cajoled into running in Linux.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Cool find. I think I’d still prefer my normal procedure, but I’ll add that in to see if it provides some additional perspective.

Normally I use two data sources. ClearSkyChart being the first and NWS being the second.

The NWS site is miserable for intuitive navigation (for me anyways), so here is how I use it in a nut shell:

Go to “your local” page, you can usually get here with relative ease.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Amarillo&state=TX&site=AMA&textField1=35.2026&textField2=-101.819&e=0

From it, on the right side near the bottom there are two links in the form of images. One being the “HOURLY WEATHER GRAPH ” the other being the”NATIONAL DIGITAL FORECAST DATABASE”

Those two NWS pages combined with ClearSkyClock provide forecast data from two different sources (CMC and NWS) which can enhance your confidence level. Besides that, CSC is only good out to a day or two where NWS data goes out to 5 or 6 days so it helps with longer range planning.

This is all of course subject to the validity of predicting the weather. FWIW, YMMV, IANAL, OMG, BFF, WTF, BBQ,….

/I have my local NWS pages as toolbar buttons in FireFox so I don’t have to go through all that every time.

chupathingie
    Participant

/I have my local NWS pages as toolbar buttons in FireFox so I don’t have to go through all that every time.

I do the same thing, since it’s not just you who thinks the NWS is a navigational mess.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I do the same thing, since it’s not just you who thinks the NWS is a navigational mess.

Kinda figured you knew all that already but I posted it thinking it might help someone new to the field someday.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘something for the astro-types’ is closed to new replies.