Wiki Loves Monuments

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Wiki Loves Monuments

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Participant

http://wikilovesmonuments.us/?pk_campaign=Centralnotice-Record

Anyone participated in this? Anyone inspired to do so? I’m thinking about heading out this weekend to snap one of the few in my county that doesn’t have a pic yet.

Yoyo
    Participant

Dealing with La Migra was a pain as usual, but I think I got some very illustrative shots of Monument #1.

Yoyo
    Participant

Embiggenable at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:View_from_north.JPG.
    Now I’m famous!!!

Yoyo
    Participant
    ravnostic
    Participant

Where’s the fence? No wonder they sneak in so easily… 😀

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Anyone participated in this? Anyone inspired to do so? I’m thinking about heading out this weekend to snap one of the few in my county that doesn’t have a pic yet.

I meant to respond to this earlier, but yeah, I heard about it as well and thought it sounded like a good excuse to grab my camera and head out on the cycle. Time & other obligations have thus far been less sympathetic to the cause, though.

Cool (& congrats) that you got one accepted.

Yoyo
    Participant

The “fence” is the yellow pickets and rusty cable along the ditch in the 3rd and 4th pics here. The pronounced seam in the concrete through the center of the monument is also the boundary. The place was crawling with La Migra. I literally passed half a dozen trucks and SUVs. There was one parked on the ridge north-west of the monument the whole time I was there. Two vehicles stopped when I was driving down there and spoke with me.

There is not really any “acceptance” aside from uploading them. I suppose if something were incorrect, some editor might eventually stumble across it and remove it.

I might try to go back earlier in the day to get better contrast on the bilingual reverse-relief plaques on the east side. The text is hard to read in the shade. A step ladder would be helpful as well, so I could get a more direct, less oblique, shot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Wiki Loves Monuments’ is closed to new replies.