05-30-12 – Rust Never Sleeps

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-30-12 – Rust Never Sleeps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph something rusty. Difficulty: No persons named Rusty.

Theme suggestion kudos go to fluffybunny–thanks!

Barracuda
    Participant

My new 50mm f1.4 arrives tomorrow, and I have plans for it. 🙂

fluffybunny
    Participant

Yay! New toys!

Are you going to leave it out in the rain so it rusts and then make a photograph of it? That would be cool. Stupid, but cool.

orionid
    Participant

Yay! New toys!

Are you going to leave it out in the rain so it rusts and then make a photograph of it? That would be cool. Stupid, but cool.

I did that with a 50mm f/1.8. I tried to salvage it. Had to throw away the aperture blades. Now it’s only a 1.8, but it’s still racked several farktography top tens.

Uranus
    Participant

Yay! New toys!

I did that with a 50mm f/1.8. I tried to salvage it. Had to throw away the aperture blades. Now it’s only a 1.8, but it’s still racked several farktography top tens.

wasn’t it soosh who left his Tokina in the snow overnight and when he dried it off it still worked so well he felt compelled to write Tokina and tell them about it….?

Barracuda
    Participant

No, I will not be subjecting the 50mm to the elements for any undue amount of time. But am looking forward to trying out some late evening shots this weekend.

Yoyo
    Participant

What about dogs named Rusty?

Kestrana
    Participant

Yay! New toys!

wasn’t it soosh who left his Tokina in the snow overnight and when he dried it off it still worked so well he felt compelled to write Tokina and tell them about it….?

Yes it was

ravnostic
    Participant

Does the rust have to be iron based, or would patina’d copper/brass etc. do?

fluffybunny
    Participant

Does the rust have to be iron based, or would patina’d copper/brass etc. do?

I will default to this reference, as it reflects what I originally had in mind,..

Wikipedia:

“Rust is a general term for describing iron oxides. In colloquial usage, the term is applied to red oxides, formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. There are also other forms of rust, such as the result of the reaction of iron and chloride in an environment deprived of oxygen, such as rebar used in underwater concrete pillars, which generates green rust. Several forms of rust are distinguishable visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances.[1] Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3?nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide FeO(OH)?Fe(OH)3. Given sufficient time, oxygen, and water, any iron mass will eventually convert entirely to rust and disintegrate. Surface rust provides no protection to the underlying iron, unlike the formation of patina on copper surfaces.

Rusting is the common term for corrosion of iron and its alloys, such as steel. Many other metals undergo equivalent corrosion, but the resulting oxides are not commonly called rust.”

Short answer: Iron based, not copper, brass etc.

emiliogtz
    Participant

I took an alternative route back from work today, saw a car basically made of rust, save for the flat tires. guess I’ll take that route again tomorrow.

clouddancer
    Participant

Just have to ask because I’m in that kind of a mood: Do freckles count? Growing up I was told that my freckles were rust spots :lol:, so I just have to throw that out there.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Just have to ask because I’m in that kind of a mood: Do freckles count? Growing up I was told that my freckles were rust spots :lol:, so I just have to throw that out there.

Hah! I don’t remember ever hearing that. Sorry, but no. Dogs named Rusty, freckles, freckles named Rusty, Dog Freckles named Rusty and so on,… not permitted.

ravnostic
    Participant

Cat freckles named….oh, never mind…

staplermofo
    Participant

How about rust that is not on its parent bit of metal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • The topic ‘05-30-12 – Rust Never Sleeps’ is closed to new replies.