3-11-15 – Tilt-Shift Faked Miniature Scenes II

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-11-15 – Tilt-Shift Faked Miniature Scenes II

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    zeke
    Participant

By using either a tilt-shift lens, a DIY option such as a toilet-plunger tilt-shift, or one of many software solutions, create your own photo that looks like a miniature set, but isn’t.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Love this theme, but afraid it won’t attract a lot of folks since it’s so specific. But this kind of thing will probably show up in Software Hootenanny.

linguine
    Participant

I would go with it again, and Im pretty certain the first tilt shift one was one of the highest vote totals ever.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’d schedule it if you guys thought it would fly. I feel like I’m not sure any more what will attract people and what won’t.

zeke
    Participant

I would go with it again, and Im pretty certain the first tilt shift one was one of the highest vote totals ever.

214 Jun 10, 2009 Tilt-Shift Faked Miniature Scenes By using either a tilt-shift lens, a DIY option such as a toilet-plunger tilt-shift, or one of many software solutions, create your own photo that looks like a miniature set, but isn’t.

67 entrants
    149 entries
    2590 total votes

The number of entrants and entries was nothing terribly special. On this one, it was the total votes that got my attention. Not quite one of the highest ever, but it was a pretty big spike in traffic in getting Farkers into the FT thread.

Camera tech has come a long way in the last 5 years, and most digicams and DSLRs have it built in as a creative option, so the level of effort for people to give it a whirl is pretty low.

Then again, I reserve the right for any of these ideas to be a complete bust 🙂

QueenMab
    Participant

+1

Yoyo
    Participant

+1 ‘Cause I got the hardware for this one now. Canon TS-E 24mm.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh man, I’d like that lens. I have the TS-E 90, but would like something wide. Actually, for that matter, I’d love the TS-E 17mm, but that ain’t happening anytime soon.

Yoyo
    Participant

How wide can we go now? The FArQ still says 640. I thought the limit got upped.

linguine
    Participant

Its 850 now.

predle
    Participant

I have no idea what this is or how to do it or if it’s even possible to do without a special lens. Can someone please explain.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

This article is a good start:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_faking

This one talks about tilt-shift lenses and covers the effect as well as other uses for them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt%E2%80%93shift_photography

And this site will fake the effect for you if you don’t have access to a t/s lens or a camera that fakes it in-camera:
    http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

kb7rky
    Participant

Dunno if my camera can do that…it’s a GE A1250 camera.

I’ll give those linked site a look-see, then see what I can come up with.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The first time we did this theme, I didn’t have a t/s or a camera that had the feature as a filter, so I used that site, and it worked well. I know a lot of Farktographers used it for that original theme. Now I have a digicam that will do it as a filter in-camera, though I also have a t/s lens. Hell, I think my cell phone might have it as a filter too, so check that as well, kb7rky. But if not, that linked site should do the trick.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘3-11-15 – Tilt-Shift Faked Miniature Scenes II’ is closed to new replies.