Dad’s Visit

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Dad’s Visit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

My dad recently came to Manchester to visit me. By recently, I mean a month ago, but I’ve been swamped with research and the Easter weekend finally gave me a respite to filter through my shots. Anyway, here’s some of my favourites from the trip:

First up, this is a shot of my dad while we’re waiting for a train in Wales. It’s one of my first attempts at freelensing with my 50mm prime.

This is a capture of Conwy Castle. I climbed up one of the turrets and shot wide-open to get the emptied turret beneath me and a portion of the castle ruins.

A view of the emptied castle. We went on a Monday morning during off-peak tourist times, so we got beautiful shots of the castle without the standard hundreds of people you’d have all over the place.

One of the emptied turrets of the city walls; it’s been standing here for 700 years, so the wood has rotted away, but you can still see the separations where the wood would have split floors. This was a completely unmarked area that we discovered, but you could still see the remnants of fireplaces and small rooms.

Just throwing this in because I’m a Man. United fan and got this at the perfect time to catch the ball going right off the post 😆

A wide-angle view of Old Trafford Stadium

York’s train station

Clifford’s Tower captured with spring bulbs blooming during sunset’s magic hour. This one is probably my favourite of the whole trip.

Looking up at York Minster’s ceilings

A dual portrait of my dad and I, captured by setting up an ultra-wide lens on my camera, attached to a gorillapod so I could get it really low.

The oldest railway terminal still standing. I felt sepia gave it an older feel.

Ditto with adding sepia to this old railway bridge

A typical good ol’ British pub. This is my new favourite pub actually, about a 15-minute walk from my lab.

The cask ales on tap

And, finally, a portrait of my dad while we were in a pub

Sorry that I posted so many – it was hard for me to pick out the best ones. If you want to see more, there’s lots on my flickr. Any tips or thoughts on shots always welcome!

Barracuda
    Participant

Great photos. For some reason the sepia tones on the two don’t really do much for the feel of the photos to me. Maybe in a larger size it would be more effective, or maybe it’s just me. Oh, and that first shot of the castle wide open gives me vertigo just looking at it. 😮

Yugoboy
    Participant

Great photos. For some reason the sepia tones on the two don’t really do much for the feel of the photos to me. Maybe in a larger size it would be more effective, or maybe it’s just me. Oh, and that first shot of the castle wide open gives me vertigo just looking at it. 😮

Ditto on the quality… nice shots!

For the sepia ones, maybe a bit more brown, and then some lightening of the image as a whole? If you look at old images that have sepia’d natually, there’s no black. Even the deepest shadows or blackest cloth is brown. I wouldn’t say to ratchet it down too much, just enough to get rid of the blackest black. Just a suggestion. FWIW, I like ’em, but I can see what ‘cuda‘s sayin’

Farktographer
    Participant

As far as the sepia, I guess you’d have to compare them to the original color versions which were…drab. The sepia at least hid that, but if it wasn’t industrial/old stuff I don’t know if I could get away with it. I see what you’re saying though where, if I wanted to make them look more authentically old-fashioned, I’d have to run it through some more processing.

orionid
    Participant

favourite

You’ve been in England too long.

Nice shots, though.

Farktographer
    Participant

favourite

You’ve been in England too long.

Nice shots, though.

^That’s a habit of me trying not to fight my auto-correct which has taken to the British-style. Every time I use my proper ‘merican spelling it puts the squiggly red line under it 😡

ravnostic
    Participant

Love the first one. And the 2nd. And the…

Dayum, man. I don’t think I’ll bother to play in the contests in which you employ any good number of these photos. Awesomesauce. If you were to post these on G+ individually, I’d run through the merits of each (you have more skill in your trigger finger than I think I’ll ever have in my whole body. Or, at least, I’m a big fan of your imaging style. Dad looks great–that’s a memory that can last several hundred years.)

Farktographer
    Participant

Thanks, Rav! I posted some up on G+ but I don’t know if that means I did them individually or whatnot…G+ still confuses me a bit. Your praise is much too high though – I still aspire to hit your level.

ravnostic
    Participant

You’ll be leading me to your G+ profile…when? Aspire further, btw. I’m nothing too terribly special (except to my mom.)

Farktographer
    Participant

Rav, I *think* this is how I link my G+ account? https://plus.google.com/106782615812133673940/posts I just went to the farktography one and added everyone there into my circles. Am I doing this right? haha.

ravnostic
    Participant

Yep, that’s it; added you back.

Barracuda
    Participant

Farktographer, added you as well.

Farktographer
    Participant

Awesome, added you back. The G+ thing is still all new to me, so I need to figure out the ins and outs and spiffy up my profile eventually.

Barracuda
    Participant

The G+ thing is still all new to me, so I need to figure out the ins and outs and spiffy up my profile eventually.

Ditto. One thing I’m already not the biggest fan of is when I post pictures from my albums into G+ it copies the photo into another specific album. I kinda get why for security/sharing, but it’s slightly annoying. But seems like a fun way to share more photos and keep myself interested in it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Dad’s Visit’ is closed to new replies.