New local find; light painting

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery New local find; light painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I woke up late for a photowalk, but 4 were still at it. We were at G. R. Herberger Park in Scottsdale; the park lights weren’t on, and we did some light painting with some of the cheap toys I buy at Harbor Freight (total cost, $5.99, on sale, for 3).

That, combined with long exposures and native ‘street’ lighting, plus some post processing (within farktography guidelines, no less), came up with some spiffy results; one looks straight out of sci-fi’s Stargate.

//well, I like them, at least.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Ummm… wow.

Just… wow…

Barracuda
    Participant

Ummm… wow.

Just… wow…

Seconded. More details please!

SilverStag
    Participant

+5!

ravnostic
    Participant

Ummm… wow.

Just… wow…

Seconded. More details please!

What details would you like? Without looking, I believe the ISO was 400, the exposures varied from 20 to 30 seconds, f/11.

Farktographer
    Participant

I’ll ditto all the “wow”s. Stunning work. Regarding details, I’m interested in how you got so much color in the sky in your second image. It’s within farktography regulations you said, so…did you blast a colored light at low clouds or something? Some awesome effects all-around though. What did you use to paint the light – was it small flashlights coated with various colors?

ravnostic
    Participant

Like pollution, my friend farktographer! It turns all the clouds orange [edit–I played w/color balance to reduce this]. The painting was done with 3 LED pen lights, the ones I purchased for my Apples & Oranges lighting. All the blue tones come from that. Pretty much everything else is just what little lighting was coming in from streetlights, etc. And I have to scratch the third one from ‘fark’ safe–it’s the version where I tweeked the sky in a mask (and I’m still not happy with it).

Meanwhile (and on another subject), some bee sides (aka my new neighbors):

EEEKKK!!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That second one has that surreal HDR’d-to-heck-and-back look, so the fact that you say it’s mostly natural makes it really cool. What causes the brightness of the orange panes in that semicircular room on top? The orangeness is rigidly defined, so I assume that’s lighting coming from inside or those panes are orange themselves and painted with white light?

ravnostic
    Participant

CISS; the panes are orange–this whole thing is part of the canal system, and that big structure up top is the cooling apparatus–not sure how it works exactly, but it’s basically an evaporative cooler, and the orange parts are the vent filters for the evaporation part. Funny you should mention the HDR, because as we were shooting (I was with 4 others), we all kept saying, “Doesn’t it look HDR?!”. There’s bunches of varied interpretations from the others over on G+.

orionid
    Participant

+1

staplermofo
    Participant

Do the same thing to the bee hive! (with a tripod, telephoto, remote shutter and cree lights).

If you can, get a bunch of feeder bugs and toss them one by one at the hive. You can shoot video, right? Man, that would be awesome.
    Ahh, grasshopper, you can snatch the stone from my hand, but the bees can SNATCH YOUR FACE FROM YOUR HEAD! FWOOOSH! BEE JUSTICE!
    Bugs can run, but they can’t hive. Instant youtube fame.

ravnostic
    Participant

staplermofo, you crazy nut! (I’d do it if they hadn’t all decided to up and disappear about 4 hours after swarming in–t’would have been coolio!)

chupathingie
    Participant

OOhhh…. (/me late to thread)… those are very surreal. Willing to bet most would look at those and think HDR, so you can leave them stumped as to how you did them when you tell them they’re unmanipulated…

ravnostic
    Participant

Not completely unmanipulated; I did curves/contrasty stuff. But it’s all global. I also did an edited version of the 2nd where I ‘shopped out the power lines. What a bitch that was, with the cloud background.

caradoc
    Participant

Is that the “Arizona Falls” area on Indian School?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘New local find; light painting’ is closed to new replies.