oooohhhh…. looky at this dark-sky site…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill oooohhhh…. looky at this dark-sky site…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

Map.

This is PERFECT for the astro-types. This is the old parking lot for a boat launch inside a small state park whose lake has been drying up; rendering the boat launch derelict. It’s well inside mag6 skies and I’ll bet they’d have little problem with tents on the edge of the parking lot. I don’t see any lighting at all from the satellite view. This place would be all but deserted except for those looking to plant a scope on some prime dark-sky pavement.

Cue the “Still Alive” jokes; it’s in Black Mesa State Park…

/adding this to my list of weekend trip destinations, only 3 hrs from the house…

chupathingie
    Participant

HAH! Turns out this is the site of the Okie Tex Star Party… dunno if they use this parking lot, but they use the park.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Very close! They use Camp Billy Joe which is actually a short ways outside the park. I think it’s used as a youth camp during the summer.

That’s about 7 hrs from me, but it’s been on my list for a long time. It’s a long shot as far as availability for me, but if you’re interested in company, let me know when you start thinking about going.

chupathingie
    Participant

My schedule’s a little easier to work, I think… at 7 hrs drive, a long weekend would be a plus… who do we talk to to schedule 2-3 clear nights?

fluffybunny
    Participant

chupathingie: who do we talk to to schedule 2-3 clear nights?

Apparently Darrin McBreen,..

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/jul/01/do-you-believe/
    or

chupathingie
    Participant

A normal contrail “is supposed to dissipate over 30 seconds to three minutes,” McBreen said.

Someone get this guy a screwdriver… 😆

Yoyo
    Participant

Sucks to be you guys. I can find severe darkness easily within a two hour drive from home. NM & west TX skies are so dark, you can see the glow of El Paso over the horizon 75 miles out on I-10. Of course, the mountains can block things low in the sky, but they also block light pollution and give a several thousand foot elevation bonus.

Farktographer
    Participant

One of the darkest places on (accessible and land-based) earth is in Scotland, a few hours north of me. I’m already making plans to go up there in the summer for some astrophotography 😀

http://www.gallowayforestpark.com/dark-skies-park-c31.html

That link says there are other dark skies parks Utah and Pennsylvania, so mayhaps those could interest other photographers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘oooohhhh…. looky at this dark-sky site…’ is closed to new replies.