03-23-11 – Me Love You Long Time!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-23-11 – Me Love You Long Time!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I actually like the framing and perspective better on the second one.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

I agree, I like the second one more.

U-Man
    Participant

U-Man, explain your steel wool on a wire burning thing. That looks way cool on photo.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2007-10/burning-metal

Steel wool burns. Who knew?! It doesn’t burst into flame, but it certainly gets hot and glows and falls apart – especially when you whirl it around. I bought some fine (grade 0000) steel wool, bent a 4 foot length of copper wire around the middle, lit it with a lighter and swung it around. That’s it.

For the photographing part, I used two cameras. Since I have two dSLR’s, it makes it a bit more idiot proof to set up both for these long exposure shots. I used slightly different f-stops and ISO’s and one camera was set for 10 sec and the other for 15 sec. After framing and focusing on the site where I would be, I used shutter release cables and clicked them so that each camera would continue taking pics until I shut them off. Click on cameras…walk to the subject area…light steel wool…whirl around head until it goes out…shut off cameras and get gone.

I forgot to put my hood up during one shot and burned the top of my head. 🙁 Also, wear long sleeves. Burning pieces of metal fly all over the place.

Farktographer
    Participant

Thanks for the input Elsinore and Plamadude. That was my first choice, but then I started over-thinking it 😳 I’m pretty sure I’ll be settling with that one.

soosh
    Participant

U-Man, explain your steel wool on a wire burning thing. That looks way cool on photo.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2007-10/burning-metal

Steel wool burns. Who knew?! It doesn’t burst into flame, but it certainly gets hot and glows and falls apart – especially when you whirl it around. I bought some fine (grade 0000) steel wool, bent a 4 foot length of copper wire around the middle, lit it with a lighter and swung it around. That’s it.

For the photographing part, I used two cameras. Since I have two dSLR’s, it makes it a bit more idiot proof to set up both for these long exposure shots. I used slightly different f-stops and ISO’s and one camera was set for 10 sec and the other for 15 sec. After framing and focusing on the site where I would be, I used shutter release cables and clicked them so that each camera would continue taking pics until I shut them off. Click on cameras…walk to the subject area…light steel wool…whirl around head until it goes out…shut off cameras and get gone.

I forgot to put my hood up during one shot and burned the top of my head. 🙁 Also, wear long sleeves. Burning pieces of metal fly all over the place.

I actually knew, but I thought it required an electrical current. Steel wool and a 9 volt battery is an awesome firestarter emergency setup.

You should buy some magnesium ribbon. It burns intensely white, almost too bright to do anything useful with in a photo, but it’s still pretty cool. I use it for a light source sometimes during really bad weather. Some day the Coast Guard is probably going to pull up on me thinking I’m trying to signal for help on a beach in the middle of the night. I use a butane blowtorch to light it off.

these two are lit by burning magnesium. The wind was about 60mph with gusts near 100.

Farktographer
    Participant

I LOVE magnesium ribbon. That stuff is so much fun.

sleeping
    Participant
    soosh
    Participant

I LOVE magnesium ribbon. That stuff is so much fun.

I used to play with it in high school. We got it in chemistry lab. I had forgotten about it until a few years ago, when I found out one can buy it really cheap. 150 feet of that stuff for less than $15.

Farktographer
    Participant

I used to play with it in high school. We got it in chemistry lab. I had forgotten about it until a few years ago, when I found out one can buy it really cheap. 150 feet of that stuff for less than $15.

Where do you get it? Home Depot or some such hardware store?

soosh
    Participant

I just googled it and found a place that shipped it to me. I’ve never seen it in a hardware store. I think you’d need more of a chemical supply house.

the place I ordered it from, I also got a bunch of copper sulfate for an electroplating experiment.

soosh
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

B-sides for this week are here.

Farktographer
    Participant

here’s one place:

http://www.ecrater.com/p/8743522/magnesium-ribbon-mg-thermite-ignition-75

I can see myself getting into a lot of trouble with this one.

soosh
    Participant

here’s one place:

http://www.ecrater.com/p/8743522/magnesium-ribbon-mg-thermite-ignition-75

I can see myself getting into a lot of trouble with this one.

What the hell is the point of being an adult if you don’t do all the stuff your mom would forbid?

mopsy
    Participant

Hey all you pyros, this mom is “listening.” Stay safe!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • The topic ‘03-23-11 – Me Love You Long Time!’ is closed to new replies.