06-11-08 – Trails–I Can See Where You’ve Been

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 06-11-08 – Trails–I Can See Where You’ve Been

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Not a bad idea. Maybe even a “Hey where did my picture go?” thread to explain things in general and maybe have people report there if they’ve had problems (though people would probably be more likely to seek out help in the weekly theme thread).

At one time, we had a list of image hosts with their reliability and free or paid status listed, but it became dated pretty quickly, and it’s kind of hard to keep on top of. In general, Imageshack isn’t a bad host, but it does hiccup occasionally. Seems like I’ve seen that less with PhotoBucket, but I don’t know if that’s just perception or reality. If you’re just looking for hosting for Fark sized photos (no wider than 640 pixels, no taller than 1100 pixels, no bigger than 200k filesize), then Flickr is a good option. There’s a monthly upload limit for free accounts, but if you resize all your photos to Fark size, you probably won’t hit that. In the 2 years I’ve had an account there, I think I’ve only had one Farktography night that there were some issues, but they cleared up pretty quickly. Personally, I like being able to comment on photos on Flickr. Like SilverStag mentioned a couple weeks ago, voting doesn’t really give much in the way of feedback other than numbers; the ability to comment on Flickr allows you to do that.

Killerclaw
    Participant
    U-Man wrote:

The only thing I can figure out is that at some point the image hosting hiccuped and the image was holding up the loading of the thread. If that happens, the broken (or merely hiccupping) image gets zapped. IThanks Elsinore! I appreciate the help. Maybe I should start using a new image host…

Perhaps a discussion should be started in one of the forums about which image hosts are good, fee vs free, etc.

/just read above. Didn’t mean to sound hoity-toity, hey-you-get-off-of-my-thread. 🙂

I run with Photobucket and have never had an image go down. *food for thought*

corsec67
    Participant

Huh, all my posts got the “(deleted: Broken image)” error again.

Maybe I need to find a new host….

Flavivirus
    Participant

I’ve been using imageshack but i think the flickr idea is a good one. Thanks, E!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m on it. Were you hosting those off Flickr?

corsec67
    Participant

I’m on it. Were you hosting those off Flickr?

Thanks, as always.

No, I use Dreamhost for the small sizes, and then have the larger versions on Flickr.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Gotcha. They should be back now; I’ll try to check back on them over the weekend and make sure they stay there. One thought might be uploading the smaller sizes to Flickr but visible only to you and have the link go back to the larger ones?

staplermofo
    Participant

I use dreamhost too and it’s like I didn’t even enter this week.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Very nice thread this week! Looks like chanchanman and SilverStag are sharing the top place this week. Congrats, guys 🙂

swampa
    Participant

Very nice thread this week! Looks like chanchanman and SilverStag are sharing the top place this week. Congrats, guys 🙂

And as is the custom, they must now battle to the death! *cues Star Trek battle music* 😛

And now back to reality – this weeks congrats go to:
    Linguine for passing 1500 votes.
    Snug Tight for 350 entries.
    Curious for 250 entries.
    U-Man for 50 contests.
    Mopsy for making it onto the recent highest vote getters list

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The topic ‘06-11-08 – Trails–I Can See Where You’ve Been’ is closed to new replies.