11-07-07 – It’s About Time

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-07-07 – It’s About Time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph timepieces large and small.

staplermofo
    Participant

Do sundials count?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I hope so. They’re timepieces.

corsec67
    Participant

Does anything that measures time count, or just things that tell the time of day?
    (For example, a kitchen timer or choronograph)

Flavivirus
    Participant

Anything that measures time would be acceptable, I would think. Lots of possibilities.

Morningbreath
    Participant

wow, I screwed up. I thought tonight’s contest was curves.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

crap, that’s probably my fault for messing up the Boobies posting schedule. Sorry about that 🙁

swampa
    Participant
    schnee
    Participant

U-man had asked what I meant when I said I “hi-keyed” the watch images to get it to look more like platinum. I don’t know if “hi-key” can be “verbed”, but basically, I over-exposed the image to wash out any non-white colors. That gives the metal a silvery look. I did the same sort of thing to the erasers that I took for the “Everything for a Dollar” theme.

Here is a sampling of the images I took for this theme, with the exposure information (ISO 400 for all)

By schnee, shot with Canon EOS 5D at 2007-11-08. 1/100s @ f/32

By schnee, shot with Canon EOS 5D at 2007-11-06. 1/100s @ f/13

By schnee, shot with Canon EOS 5D at 2007-11-06. 1/200s @ f/10

By schnee, shot with Canon EOS 5D at 2007-11-06. 1/200s @ f/9

By schnee, shot with Canon EOS 5D at 2007-11-06. 1/200s @ f/4.

I chose the 2nd from the bottom for display. In the top three, one can see a little bit of red in the shadow behind the watch – that came from the light being reflected from the eraser I used to prop-up the watch (a LEGO assisted as well). As I cranked up the exposure (pushing the histogram to the right), that red got washed out. The middle image (f/10 @1/200) is pretty close to how my eye sees the watch in most viewing conditions. I had considered the bottom image, but ultimately decided it was too abstract. I was really attracted to the completely washed out background and my next attempt along these lines will be to get a completely white background with a well-exposed subject. I may need to throw some direct light at the background to do that.

This set-up had the main light coming in from camera-left and slightly behind the subject. Camera-right was a piece of paper used as a reflector to illuminate the watch dial. The paper is reflected in the dial and appears as a curved white swath along the right edge.

My macro “studio” is about to get hacked up a bit – I need a light port to camera right, and I need better flexibility of the light positioning to camera left.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks for the mini-tutorial, schnee. I loved this entry 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘11-07-07 – It’s About Time’ is closed to new replies.