$20 semi-portable lighting studio

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware $20 semi-portable lighting studio

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

I’m not going to do the step-by step how-to on this one, as it’s pretty straight-forward. Just the materials list.

$20 Lighting studio by Orionid, on Flickr

10-foot piece 3/4 inch PVC pipe $1.50 x2 …… $3.00
    Various PVC corners/three ways $0.25 x 8 …… $2.00
    Economy brand 500W halogen light $5 x2 …… $10.00
    Twin size flat bedsheet, white …… $4.00
    Total: $19

As an added bonus, the economy brand sheets at walmart come in a matching bag, which works conveniently as a mini-diffuser on my flash unit.

I also got black and red flat sheets to make other color backdrops with.

Curious
    Participant

this is the studio setup i use. got it on sale for $25. it’s roughly 25% smaller than yours if my math is right. the blue background flips over and is gray on the back. bigger lights would help but those like yours may be too hot. one advantage is that it all folds down into it’s own carrying case. has two pockets for the lights.

linguine
    Participant

this is the studio setup i use. got it on sale for $25. it’s roughly 25% smaller than yours if my math is right. the blue background flips over and is gray on the back. bigger lights would help but those like yours may be too hot. one advantage is that it all folds down into it’s own carrying case. has two pockets for the lights.

I got one of those. To help with the lights not being that strong I got some eco-bulbs that draw fewer watts than they put out(or something like that) which allows you to use brighter bulbs in the same lamps. This may explain it better – http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202240932&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=electrical-_-lightbulbs-_-creeEcosmart-_-shopnow

Curious
    Participant

ouch. at $50 bucks each i’ll just use supplemental lighting. thanks for the suggestion though.

actually if i put some extensions on each side to move the halogen quartz lights out a ways i could probably use them. they are hot but the heat fall off is pretty quick. i have used an old super 8 quartz light on a tripod ok and it produces lots of heat.

linguine
    Participant

Theres cheaper ones, I think I got 2 for about $20, that was just the first one that popped up online.

Curious
    Participant

i’ll check next time i’m in home depot and/or wal-mart.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘$20 semi-portable lighting studio’ is closed to new replies.