35mm Tilt/Shift Lenses?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware 35mm Tilt/Shift Lenses?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant

Anyone have any experience with T/S lenses, specifically for Canon EF mounts? The back of my head is nagging me to start thinking about maybe someday looking into getting one, but I’m not sure why. I do, however, love seeing the effects of a T or an S – neonstz’s shot from Cityscapes sticks in my head, and there’s a recent one of a fireplug that was pretty nifty.

Canon makes a 24, 45 and 90. I’ve web-researched, but does anyone here have any thoughts?

Curious
    Participant

i’ve done that with my 4×5 and it’s the shits. with that camera/lens however i usually had to use the roll film backs because the image moved off the 4×5 film too quickly. have no idea how or if that problem translates to 35mm.

Analogy
    Participant

You can get a shift effect out of a regular lens using some perspective correction in post, as long as it’s not too extreme. See these pictures for an example. I do believe that since the correction is applied uniformly to the entire image it is permissible in Farktography.

sleeping
    Participant

i’ve done that with my 4×5 and it’s the shits. with that camera/lens however i usually had to use the roll film backs because the image moved off the 4×5 film too quickly. have no idea how or if that problem translates to 35mm.

Yeah, the standard press camera lenses often didn’t have much coverage for camera movements (my Super Graphic came with a 127mm ektar that barely covers 4×5 at infinity, and my 90mm Angulon isn’t any better). That shouldn’t be an issue for a dedicated tilt/shift lens, though (and you can get large format lenses that have a lot more coverage).

Another cheap option might be something like this: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/p-six-35mm-cameras-shift-adapter.htm

It adapts medium format pentacon six lenses to 35mm with shift (no tilt though)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘35mm Tilt/Shift Lenses?’ is closed to new replies.