$400 refurbished D50

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware $400 refurbished D50

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    staplermofo
    Participant

I couldn’t help but notice that refurbished DSLRs are going for dirt cheap, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice about them. It seems almost too good to be true, especially considering I could get 3 (50mm 200mm and 28-80) nikkor lenses for about $250.

Anyone want to talk me in or out of getting one?

veruca
    Participant

I think if you expect the worst in this situation then you probably couldn’t be disappointed. Are they coming with any type of warranty and/or from a respectable dealer?

staplermofo
    Participant

Are they coming with any type of warranty and/or from a respectable dealer?

They come with a 90-day warranty from Nikon and $400 seems to be a pretty easy price to find; buydig, digitalfotoclub, beachcamera, etc all have it at that price, so I’m pretty sure I can trust the dealers.

It’s just that $500~$650 is a lot of money for me to be plunking down on something I don’t need, so I’d like to be as informed as possible about the possible problems I would encounter getting a used camera (or just a D-SLR itself, for that matter).

If the previous owner was a cheeto-addicted slob, could I ever get it un-oranged?
    Do the contacts for the batteries and memory card corrode faster than a Yugo in Detroit?
    Might the firmware destroy itself in a violent schizophrenic outburst?
    Will I need to clean the CCD? Will it dramatically degrade image quality if I twitch at the wrong time when cleaning it?

You know, the million little doubts your mature side fills you with when you won’t listen to it yammer on about financial responsibility.

monkeybort
    Participant

stapler, you crack me the heck right up.

i have a used lens and i love it – i use it all the time.

Anonymous
    Participant

I use my D50 all the time. I’m not sure if you could find all three of those lenses for under $250 though. If I need my camera cleaned it goes into a shop so I can’t help you there. I’ve taken about 2500 pictures since January and haven’t had any problems. The battery lasts a long time too if you don’t use the flash or LCD.

Madrigal
    Participant

I’ve been toying with the idea of going to a DSLR sometime soon, and this is quite inticing, refurbished, but again, you have to question the quality of the refurbished product.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘$400 refurbished D50’ is closed to new replies.