500mm cat lenses

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware 500mm cat lenses

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

Anyone used one? 500mm f6.3 by various brands for under $200. The price sounds ridiculous, but I can understand them being cheaper due to the main elements being 1st surface mirrors.

My guess is that the focus might be a little soft (they’re fairly small for cats), but that’s just a guess… which would make it a no-go for me for astrophotography, but I wanted to see if anyone here has an opinion of their performance.

caradoc
    Participant

I’ve got one. “Phoenix” brand. It’s crap. I picked it up for under $100 for a very specific project, and haven’t touched it since.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Similar to caradoc, got one many moons ago during 35mm film days, could not make it work, thought it was me, tried it again in a digital body and it turns out it wasn’t me.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I learned 2 new things today. I had never heard of this type of camera lens before and It seems you all have had no luck with them So I won’t think to hard about getting one If the chance pops up.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Well I learned 2 new things today. I had never heard of this type of camera lens before and It seems you all have had no luck with them So I won’t think to hard about getting one If the chance pops up.

Not saying that good ones don’t exist, they might. Never pursued it.
    (I got me a Tokina 150-500mm f/5.6 AT-X adapted to Canon and never looked back).

chupathingie
    Participant

Thanks for the input, it seems like the collective view is “poop”. 😆

As far as the lens goes, it’s basically a mini-Celestron or Meade telescope with a focal reducer (I’m only comparing the design). The reason why I was guessing the focus would be soft is because when you make one of these that small, the central obstruction formed by the secondary mirror is such a high percentage of the surface area of the primary that you lose a lot of contrast and increase the diffraction dramatically. All other things being equal, bigger is pretty much always better with optics… as you scale this design up, the % of obstruction by the secondary decreases. This thing’s only got a ~3″ primary. It’s not much of an issue at the 8″ scale, and even less so at 11″ or 16″.

staplermofo
    Participant

I hear nice things about the 800mm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘500mm cat lenses’ is closed to new replies.