7-5-06 Backyard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    veruca
    Participant

Description: Photos taken from your backyard, or, in case you don’t have a backyard, in sight of where you live.

Thanks to schnee for this week’s theme.

veruca
    Participant

Hope everyone (well in the US anyhow) had a wonderful 4th of July holiday weekend!

mikemikeb
    Participant

I’m wondering: Does a photo taken from atop a concrete patio count as part of the backyard as long as it’s an open-air patio?

schnee
    Participant

I’m wondering: Does a photo taken from atop a concrete patio count as part of the backyard as long as it’s an open-air patio?

Works for me. “Yard” doesn’t have to be too literal.

mikemikeb
    Participant

Works for me. “Yard” doesn’t have to be too literal.

For you, yes, but the mods have the ultimate decision on what counts and what doesn’t 8)

monkeybort
    Participant

I think that it’s fine. I took all of mine in my parents’ backyard.

veruca
    Participant

It’s schnee’s theme but I would think as long as it was in your “backyard” area and not a park or something it would fly.

monkeybort
    Participant

have a great contest tonight everyone – i’m looking forward to checking it out tomorrow!

schnee
    Participant

For you, yes, but the mods have the ultimate decision on what counts and what doesn’t 8)

I’ve never seen an entry deleted for being off-theme. Off-color, yeah, but not off-theme. The Fark mods stay out of rule interpretation, as near as I can tell.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Going green at 5:51am…ouch….and that’s with 43 link votes. Any way to get that time bumped up?

veruca
    Participant
    veruca
    Participant

Going green at 5:51am…ouch….and that’s with 43 link votes. Any way to get that time bumped up?

I’ll submit a farkback, see what comes of it…

Saldo1981
    Participant

I’m so far down on the list, I really should get a TF subscription

eire_irie
    Participant

I just need to vent a little about the posts
    It’s suggested to post under 50KB yet many are over 100

I’m on dial up when I post from the UK at 1 in the morning.
    I don’t get to see many of the pics until the next day or 2 at work.
    I voted today and did a little protest vote.
    I will no longer vote for anything over 75KB

I do my best to compress my photos and they do sometimes suffer.
    I feel like an asshat for complaining but wanted to mouth off to someone..anyone really

Thanks for listening…back to your regularly scheduled farktog

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I just need to vent a little about the posts
    It’s suggested to post under 50KB yet many are over 100

I’ve noticed that myself, and it’s definitely frustrating when I keep my pictures smaller and compress more and end up with compression artifacts while someone else posts 700×1200 images at 150kb.

To be fair, there could be a little confusion on max file size, because the Farktography page itself says this under the “How To” section:

Most of the images you post will be between 40-60KB. Consider linking rather than displaying an image if it is larger than 70KB. Entries larger than 200KB will be automatically rejected.

I read the Farktography site “How To” section before I started posting, so for a long time I was aiming for 70k; it was quite awhile before I picked up that the rules listed in the first post each week said 50k, not 70k.

Now I do aim at 50k, and some of mine have been as small as 35-37k. I will admit that if I end up at 53k or 56k, I generally say screw it and leave it that size rather than compressing further, since I know so many others have pictures twice that size. Probably not the best attitude, but it’s admittedly out of the same frustration you’ve expressed. I also am more likely to leave one of my images a bit over the 50k limit if I know I’m also submitting a really small one of 37k–kinda like it’s ultimately evening out to a 50k average for each week.

Where am I going with this? I dunno…I guess just commiserating. I’m not sure what can be done about the huge file sizes, since apparently someone could submit anything up to 200k before it would be automatically rejected. Dunno if the Fark mods really police Farktography and Photoshop threads for contest rules; the sense I’ve gotten is that they just look for Fark rules violations. I know awhile back the issue of off-theme entries came up and the unfortunate consensus was that not much could be done about it since it was sometimes so subjective. But with file sizes it’s pretty clear–maybe in this case the Farktography mods could adjust the rules to disqualify images submitted in excess of 5-7% over the 50k rule? My only concern would be the extra work policing that, though maybe just double checking the top 20 vote getting entries would cut the work and be a middle ground sanity check.

Regardless, you aren’t alone. It’s hard being the honorable one in an honor system, eh?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘7-5-06 Backyard’ is closed to new replies.