A friend at work is looking for point-n-shot camera ideas

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware A friend at work is looking for point-n-shot camera ideas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

A friend at work posted this on an internal e-mail distribution and I thought I’d forward it here to solicit opinions from people that use their equipment actively. I’ll pass along any comments I receive.

I have an old (2 ? years) point-and-shoot Canon Powershot camera that I’m looking to upgrade. I’d like at least 8 megapixel, 6x optical zoom, and good close-up (one foot away+) shots. My current camera doesn’t meet any of those criteria. I want to spend less than $500 if possible.

soosh
    Participant

I think this Panasonic Lumix will do all of that for $150.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TZ4K-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B0011Z6D86/

Jesus. I may have to get myself one of those.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If he wants to stay with Canon, the A720 is a nice upgrade in the Powershot line:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A720IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000V1VG2E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229472843&sr=8-1

or the Canon SX10IS which has a 20x lens and flip around screen (handy for all sorts of reasons):

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Wow, I didn’t know you could get those sorts of features/performance for those prices.

Thanks!

SilverStag
    Participant

Under 500? Have him look at a D40.

soosh
    Participant

that kind of takes the whole point & shoot out of the equation.

Killerclaw
    Participant

Wow, I didn’t know you could get those sorts of features/performance for those prices.

Thanks!

Depends on what you consider “Performance” P&S sensors piss me off.

orionid
    Participant

Under 500? Have him look at a D40.

The whole point and shoot thing aside, for under $500 a d40 is a good deal. Although, pesonally, I would try to find a store with lower turnaround with d50’s still in stock. The thumbwheel and back-compatibility with original AF and G series lenses make it tenfold better than the 40 for similar price.

But yeah, as far as P&S…. that Lumix looks pretty sweet.

/I heart my d50

SilverStag
    Participant

/I heart my d50

Me too 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘A friend at work is looking for point-n-shot camera ideas’ is closed to new replies.