A walk into the glacier

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery A walk into the glacier

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

Every year, the glacier and its lake freeze differently. Some years you can’t get close to the face, some years there are astounding icebergs caught in the lake ice, and some years, like this year, there are few icebergs but you can walk all the way into the folds of the ice itself.

photos from last night here

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Those are all otherworldly and amazing to me since I just don’t have any experience with that level of “cold”. I like the sense of scale the person (and dogs?) gives in IMG_1138.jpg. And the saturated aqua tones against very dark backgrounds in images IMG_1169.jpg thru IMG_1184.jpg are really beautiful. Image 1170 looks like the northern entrance to Hell. 🙂 All that’s missing is a blue three headed dog with an icicle spiked collar!

How long were you out there to get all those shots?

soosh
    Participant

about three and a half hours altogether. it’s a 45 minute walk each way from the parking lot across the lake to the face of the glacier, so that takes a good chunk of the time. I was well-chilled by the time I came home.

Those are dogs, yes. It’s boggling when you’re out there, because there’s just nothing to give it a sense of scale, but the ice is easily three stories tall in a lot of those shots, if not more.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Wow!

schnee
    Participant

Orion, the Big Dipper and a really nice couple of Milky Way images.

Oh, the ice, too!

linguine
    Participant

Those are amazing.

lokisbong
    Participant

Wow. just wow at what the lack of light pollution can do for a night sky. 1201 just amazes me. how long is the exposure on that ? I wouldn’t think it to long what with the lack of long trails.

soosh
    Participant

Wow. just wow at what the lack of light pollution can do for a night sky. 1201 just amazes me. how long is the exposure on that ? I wouldn’t think it to long what with the lack of long trails.

It’s 30 seconds at f/1.8 and ISO 3200

orionid
    Participant

I would drool but I’m afraid it would freeze to my chin just from those photos.

lokisbong
    Participant

It’s 30 seconds at f/1.8 and ISO 3200

Very cool picture. I need to go up in the mountains as soon as the weather decides to cooperate (been overcast) on my weekend so I can try to get something kinda like that. I do wish I had a lens capable of f/1.8.

staplermofo
    Participant

I know I say this about every time nature comes up, but don’t you get tempted to take a chainsaw to it? You know, carve a crude ice hohah or something, dump a bunch of glacier ice in your drink, generally run around chainsawing thing. Is that even legal?

soosh
    Participant

never really thought about it. seems like a good way to get a whole bunch of shit collapsing down on top of you. you wouldn’t get arrested, but you might get beaten up by the locals. late winter isn’t the best time to be poking alaskans with a stick.

staplermofo
    Participant

*sad panda*

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘A walk into the glacier’ is closed to new replies.