Am I just an idiot or…

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Am I just an idiot or…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jpatten
    Participant

Is it actually really difficult to take good shots in an Aquarium? We just got back from a trip to Chattanooga and I discoverd that most of my pictures from the Aquarium suck. Of course If I had remembered my Monopod It might have helped some, but even with squishing the flash against the glass ( in the areas that allowed flash) most of the pictures suck. I can’t even pass it off to dirty or smudged glass. I kept screwing up either the needed ISO or shutter times etc.
    I need to practice more, but its so expensive to get in to even the one here in Atlanta.

SilverStag
    Participant

It is really difficult, unless you have something like one of the miraculous high-ISO cameras like the Nikon D3 or D700. I just saw some amazing available-light jellyfish images over on dpreview.com in the Nikon forums that were shot with a D3. When I hit the lottery…. *sigh*

jpatten
    Participant

Yeah, I can see that. I have a Rebel XT. I have taken some GREAT shots with it, but it really suffers noise at ISO 1600.

caradoc
    Participant

A squishy rubber lens hood helps a lot.

jpatten
    Participant

I only have the hard plastic hood for my 70-300..

SilverStag
    Participant

You can purchase a collapsible rubber hood that will screw into the filter rings- they are fairly inexpensive. The reason you want one is that it will conform to the glass and block out stray light and reflections.Look here:http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/lenshoods.aspx

RcMacStudent
    Participant

I’ve found that a small spray bottle of glass cleaner and a rag go a long ways towards getting a clean shot – especially if you’re behind one of the school groups who’ve smeared their hands and noses all over the glass.

caradoc
    Participant

I’ve found that a small spray bottle of glass cleaner and a rag go a long ways towards getting a clean shot

I prefer paper towels, as I don’t need to be carrying someone else’s snot in my pocket – and check with the staff before using any sort of glass cleaner. Some of them get a little freaky about unknown chemicals near their fish.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Am I just an idiot or…’ is closed to new replies.