And Captain: It is the Enterprise!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery And Captain: It is the Enterprise!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

Whole Set:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/sets/72157629911988781/with/6972772800/

It was freakin’ awesome! Of course, I wish I had a bigger faster lens, but unless you are in a chase plane, you aren’t getting the REAL good shots.

ravnostic
    Participant

So awesome. I’m envious. I hope to do nearly as well with my ventures in the next month or two. That 2nd shot needs to be submitted to space.com, spaceweather.com, and any newspaper site that you can think of. Go get some publicity!

Kestrana
    Participant

so jealous. I didn’t hear about Discovery landing in DC until I was in the car on the way to work while it was going on. Even if I hadn’t had to work, I wouldn’t have gotten close enough to see it in time.

chupathingie
    Participant

I missed it when it landed here a few years back (the local field was an alternate landing site for piggy-back stops when Edwards was used). I’ll never get a chance now! 😆

Nice shots! And hell yeah, pimp some of that! 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’ll bet it was awesome. Nice shots.

And now to show my age a bit – I’ve got a shot (on the ground) of the Enterprise/747 combo from back when it was first built as a prototype for the other shuttles. I should dig that out sometime and scan it. I remember looking at it through the airport fence when I took the shot and thinking how cool it was, and now the whole program is retired.

chupathingie
    Participant

^ citation needed 😆

ohpleasepleasepleaseplease scan and post…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

^ citation needed 😆

I’ll see what I can do. Scanning and posting is the easy part – finding it is the trick.

Barracuda
    Participant

Somewhere I have a photo of the Enterprise (fairly sure it was the Enterprise) landing after a non-orbital test flight. Had it hung in my bedroom at home for years before I moved out. I don’t think this is the exact frame, but looks very similar:

chupathingie
    Participant

Man, I think I was 13 when that happened… look at that glorious late-70’s color LOL and the ever-present T-38 chase planes that were everywhere with the shuttle.

The drop tests off the 747 were big news back in the day. I never noticed before, but they rebuilt the nose…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

^ citation needed 😆

I’ll see what I can do. Scanning and posting is the easy part – finding it is the trick.

Found it. It wasn’t in great shape, but I’m going retro and entering it tonight. Larger version here if anyone’s interested. Taken August 12, 1979 at the Tulsa airport.

chupathingie
    Participant

Wow. I was just about to start 10th grade and had just seen the ‘Dacks for the first time. Skylab had just come home, as it were. We still had the original Battlestar Galactica on TV. That was pre- Raiders of the Lost Ark, even! 😆

fluffybunny
    Participant

Awesome CISS, how old were you and what camera were you using?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks fluffy. I’m not so sure how awesome the photo itself is, but awesome/awestruck accurately describes my experience at the time for sure.

August 12 of ’79 would’ve been exactly 4 months after my 16th birthday; I was just about to start my senior year. I had received a Nikkormat (my first “big boy” camera) for Christmas the previous year and I believe that shot is taken with the 50mm F/1.4 lens that came with the camera.

At that point in time, I hadn’t yet found out that I had scoliosis, so as far as I knew, I was going to the Naval Academy to become a pilot after graduation and maybe even eventually get an up close and personal look at this new shuttle they were touting as the future of space travel.

ravnostic
    Participant

These are so cool. I have a picture of me, 1974-5 I was maybe 5-6, at the (IIRC?) Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL. Me and my brothers are looking at a prototype shuttle model, complete with this humongous cone point, that eventually was removed from the design. I remember that January morning walking to school, senior year, and having KZZP actually break in from the middle of a song to announce that something terrible had happened; it was a quiet school day as we got updates.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘And Captain: It is the Enterprise!’ is closed to new replies.