Another "what lens to replace the 18-55" thread

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Another "what lens to replace the 18-55" thread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

Okay Canon users, looking forward to upgrading my camera body to a 70D later this year, but for the moment I’m going to start with an upgrade from the 18-55mm kit lens. I’m looking at either one of the 17-50/55 f2.8 options (Tamron or maybe a used Canon if I can find a deal), or the 15-85mm.

Part of me wants the fast constat 2.8, but I also have my two primes: 28mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 that I can use if I need fast. The 15-85 has a wider range that could cut down on lens changes some, and give me the extra wide range that may fill the need for something like a 11-16 or 10-22 in my standard kit and just rent those when I really need them.

So… thoughts?

fluffybunny
    Participant

I have the early non-IS Tamron 17-50 2.8,.. It replaced the original 18-55 Canon 3.5-5.6 kit lens I had and was my first thoroughly researched lens. It is still my go to in that range. It even withstood me falling onto it while attached to my old 20D from a short cliff side.

I know someone who just went with the 15-85 but hasn’t had it long enough to offer feedback. Everything I’ve read leads me to believe it’s a good lens though.

As for lens changes, my next longer zoom is the Canon 70-200 F4 L. I really have not found that I miss the 20 mm focal length between the Tamron and the Canon. I guess for my shooting strategies it never presents a difficulty. I can say that the f2.8 is great to have in a zoom. The only prime I shoot regularly is a 300mm manual Tamron and I have several primes I can choose from. I go to them when lighting is truly weak, and with the 7D’s (even more so the 70D’s) ISO vs noise performance, low light is becoming less and less an issue. So really the only time I might ever need the f1.8 primes is for a razor thin DOF, and the F2.8 will still do most of what I need anyways.

My $0.02

ennuipoet
    Participant

A lot depends on your needs as far as a crop sensor wide angle lens. The 70D “kit” is a 24-105 F4L, which is a stellar lens for all it is not a f2.8. If you find a deal with this lens, then get it.

I shoot very little true landscape, so when I need one I rent a 16-35mm.

There are some attractive Tamron and Tokina offerings which are very highly reviewed, and frankly for the price difference I would take them over the Canon offering in the wider lenses.

I strongly recommend not going the EFS route, and stick with EF mount, leaving you open to a Full Frame option in the future. Bodies come and go, lenses are forever.

Barracuda
    Participant

Good points both. Problem eliminating EF-S mounts is that it limits my wide angle options greatly. Lenses seem to hold their value quite well after that initial ‘new’ to ‘used’ hit, so buy used to sell doesn’t have much of a hit as long as I take care of the lens. And I figure I will always have some sort of crop sensor around since I do so much hiking and nature walks with the camera. The flexibility of the 15-85 for hiking is one of the biggest reasons I’m considering it. Pack the bag with it and the 100mm Macro and I’m pretty much set for everything aside perhaps long range birds.

fluffybunny
    Participant

The hiking solution still evades me. Closest I can figure is that there must be no single simple answer. Each hike will put different demands on your gear. I have considered some of the new “super zooms” (Tamron and Sigma) as a possibility but have not yet convinced myself to bite. My best guess with current gear is a long zoom and a wide zoom if I have never been on a particular trail.

The 17-50 has a pretty small minimum focus distance and while it is not a macro, it can do some good closeup work. I really like the old Tamron 300mm f2.8 manual I have for wildlife, but it really limits your choice of subjects. If I’m with people I wind up with a lot of head shot portraits from 100 yards. The 100-300 F4 Sigma is a better all around zoom but either one is a beast.

Barracuda
    Participant

Sooooooo… I’m probably going to be getting a 15-85 in the next week… along with a 60D. Figure if the 70D isn’t going to be in stock till some time September, by the time the preorders are shipped and such, don’t figure I’d be able to get anything shy of MSRP for at least 6mo. So, get the 60D now that the majority of the price hit has already happened to the ‘old’ model and either keep it as a backup and sell the XSi or sell the 60D some time down the road when I get the 70D… or what ever the next body will be.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Excellent. Looking forwards to what you have to say about both.

Barracuda
    Participant

So a 15-85 should be in route some time tomorrow, it’s coming from the south end of the state (but being Texas that doesn’t mean it’ll be an instant shipment). Hopefully Monday arrival. Also have an offer email out to a couple of CL listings for a NIB 60D and a 11-16mm f2.8. The first I’m likely to own by week’s end, the other I’ll see if they accept my offer price.

Yoyo
    Participant

18-55 II 😀

When I broke my original kit lens, I initially replaced it with a 28-90 35mm consumer kit lens because it was available and economical, and I wanted a zoom centered around 55mm which was the dividing line between my normal zoom and telephoto zoom.

Barracuda
    Participant

Oops… 😀

ravnostic
    Participant

I don’t know about the Tamron in that length, but I can tell you for certain that it’s 70-300mm stabilized lens is the bomb-diggity; it’s actually rated better than the Canon equiv, and from my experience with it, I know why. So I’d imagine their other newer lenses compare favorably, and are certainly more economical.

Barracuda
    Participant

rav – I ran across some info on that 70-300 during my reading, but I really really really really don’t need to be upgrading another lens right now. 2 lenses and a body in a week is enough. Going to probably sell the XSi to help cover some of this as it is.

ravnostic
    Participant

Oh, I only meant as a comment on the Tamron brand. Though they did have rebates a couple months ago; I got the 70-300 for $350 after rebate; I believe the 18-55 had a $50 rebate; don’t know if they still do but check it out; even if you didn’t buy it there, you can download the rebate form via amazon. They sent the check in about 4 weeks.

Barracuda
    Participant

yeah, considered the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, but decided I wanted the 15mm low end and the longer 85 on the other end over the constant f2.8 so went with the canon lens. Next time I get some extra $$$ for glass I may consider the 70-300 or the 17-55 f2.8 Tamron options. Having the constant 2.8 on the 11-16mm should provide me enough for indoor work along with the better ISO performance of the 60D.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Another "what lens to replace the 18-55" thread’ is closed to new replies.