Anybody use WordPress? I have a plugin you might like.

Forums Forums Get Technical Software Anybody use WordPress? I have a plugin you might like.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

I posted this on Fark a while ago for beta testing but got no takers.

This is a plugin to easily create Simpleviewer photo galleries on pages or posts.

Normally, you have to create Simpleviewer galleries either by (1) editing an XML file, (2) using an automated script to create galleries (and optionally, thumbnails), (3) using a plugin for a third-party tool like iPhoto or Picasa. Unfortunately, these tools are a little inflexible and require you to “rebuild” your gallery every time you add photos, and/or don’t have support for multiple, automatic galleries.

After installing the plugin, you will be able to drop photos in a directory on your host and have thumbnails automatically created for you as well as writing the XML on the fly.

FULL EXPLANATION

This plugin adds the tag, an options panel, and a quicktag button to WordPress. There is one required attribute, “gallery”. So for example, the one-picture gallery included in with the zip file would be included in your post or page like this:

Other attributes are (also available in the Options panel “Galleries”):

maximg (The maximum dimension, either height or width, of your photos.)
      textcolor (Text color, in hex triplet notation, e.g. #aabbcc.)
      framecolor (Frame color, the padding that goes around thumbnails and displayed images. Also the color of the left and right buttons that appear on hovering over a displayed image. In hex triplet notation, e.g. #aabbcc.)
      bgcolor (Background color, in hex triplet notation, e.g. #aabbcc.)
      framewidth (Width of the “frame”, the padding that goes around thumbnails. Measured in pixels.)
      stagepadding (Padding applied to the inside of the frame; no content will come out further than this distance away from the border. Set to 0 if you want the frame to reach all the way to the edge.)
      thumbcols (Number of thumbnail columns.)
      thumbcols (Number of thumbnail rows.)
      navposition (One of “top”, “bottom”, “left”, “right”. Where the thumbnail navigator will appear relative to the pictures.)
      navdirection (One of “LTR” or “RTL”, the direction that the navigator will scroll by default.)

Two other options:

xmlcache (The amount of time in seconds that a fresh XML image data cache will last until expiring and being regenerated. You can set this low; XML generation is cheap. A good value would be 86400.)
      thumbcache (The amount of time in seconds that a thumbnail will last until being regenerated. Might wanna set this high, GD rescaling is computationally expensive, but I tested a gallery of maybe 25 photos and it did it in maybe 3-5 seconds on an average server. A good value might be 604800.)

If you don’t set these options in the tag, they’ll default to the options you’ve set in the options panel. ***Please set your options in the panel before saying that it doesn’t work!*** (I haven’t figured out a good way to set default options yet.)

Place your images in sv/mygalleryname/images/. If a thumbnail doesn’t exist for a picture, it will be created in sv/mygalleryname/thumbnails/. Both these directories have to exist; I haven’t written the code to create the thumbnail directory yet. You’ll need GD installed for thumbnail creation to work.

QUICK EXPLANATION

1. You’ll need WordPress and GD support in your host’s build of PHP. Also, make sure your files have their permissions set so the web user is allowed to rename and create files.
    2. Put svgallery.php in wp-content/plugins/ and the sv/ folder in wp-content/.
    3. Put your pictures in wp-content/sv/mygalleryname/images/ and make sure a folder exists for the thumbs: wp-content/sv/mygalleryname/thumbnails/ (see the sv_photos folder for an example).
    4. Visit the “Galleries” WP options panel and set your defaults.
    5. Write a post and hit the “Gallery” quicktag, enter the name of the folder with your photos.
    6. Voila, Simpleviewer gallery.

veruca
    Participant

That’s just awesome. I’d totally use it if I weren’t currently powering Blogger. Maybe I should look into WordPress for as much as I use and modify my Simpleviewer galleries…

admin
    Keymaster

That’s just awesome. I’d totally use it if I weren’t currently powering Blogger. Maybe I should look into WordPress for as much as I use and modify my Simpleviewer galleries…

There’s a demo over here for anybody that wants to see what it looks like.

Klahanie
    Participant

This is all sooo over my head.

/runs away crying

veruca
    Participant

/runs away crying

No, you’re smarter because you let Flickr do all the work for you. That way you end up with more camera time and ideas while I pop braincells trying to figure out how to make my template work for me. And I’m still stuck on Blogger.

/hangs head in shame

Klahanie
    Participant

/runs away crying

No, you’re smarter because you let Flickr do all the work for you. That way you end up with more camera time and ideas while I pop braincells trying to figure out how to make my template work for me. And I’m still stuck on Blogger.

/hangs head in shame

I have one of those blogger thingies too, but I’ve never used it. I think it’s called “It’s raining again”. I think it was lying half the time when it told me a name wasn’t available when I tried it. Ha, but I do love Flickr. It gets a little overwhelming sometimes though, and I have to hide for a while. Nice pic, great shot, beautiful, etc… Even though I’m being sincere when I make those comments it starts to sound cliche. 🙂

3Horn
    Participant

Digging this one up from the past…

I’m in the process of rebuilding my websites, and using WP for the blog portion. I’ve installed and setup Coppermine, but it really isn’t doing what I want it to, which is look more like a gallery than a CMS.

Is your WP plugin still available, or does anyone else have recommendations for gallery software. I’ve installed Gallery2, but haven’t set it up yet. It looks closer to what I want than Coppermine.

XenPix
    Participant

I run gallery2 on xenpix.com

I’ve been having some issues with the most recent update of gallery (I use gallery so my mum can have her own space, she’s not great with computers) with it not taking pictures over a certain size (pixel, not file size). Completely bizarre.

If you need help on set up or anything, I should be able to help. Maybe. 😀

3Horn
    Participant

The only problem I’m having at the moment, is trying to import the current galleries into G2. I don’t mind copying or reloading the directories, but it still keeps giving me the following error:
    “For security purposes, you can’t use this feature until the Gallery Site Administrator configures a set of legal upload directories.”

So, I go into setup, set a temp directory to use, check the CHMOD is set for 777, try again, same answer.

I really dread the idea of having to pic the images one-by-one instead of just importing the FTPed files.

Never mind, I just decided to create archives and upload those.

Curious
    Participant

i will be rebuilding my web site shortly using “coffeecup” software that my web host gives you for a years subscription. i’m betting that wordpress isn’t compatible with it. or may not be needed, i haven’t looked into their galley building stuff yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Anybody use WordPress? I have a plugin you might like.’ is closed to new replies.