Argus 40 TLR

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Argus 40 TLR

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I personally blame Elsinore for this (damn your camera pron! /shakes tiny fist 🙂 but I just bought one of these http://www.deansphotographica.com/deans_of_idaho/old_stuff_pages/argus40/argus40.html for a pittance. The listing claims it is functional (we’ll see). My question is anyone used the sprocket hole adapters or made their own? I know I can buy 120 film and 620 spools and reroll them, but that means buying the spools, the film changing bag ect. (Which, since I want to build my own B&W darkroom someday, I will need eventually, just not today.)

Also, anyone have/used one these ancient creatures?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh damn, want!! Actually, B&H has already re-rolled 120-onto-620 spools for your convenience. Kinda pricy, but saves you some trouble if you want to test out your camera and see if it’s worth it to re-roll yourself and shoot. I have a 620 camera from my Grandfather that I’m meaning to get some 620 for, actually.

orionid
    Participant

Ooohh… Pretty….

I have a couple 620s that I use either re-rolled 120 or stuff in some 35mm for bastardization sake. If you get the pre-re-rolled stuff from B&H, most places that develop medium format are more than happy to return the metal spools to you.

For force-fitting 35mm for sprocket hole shots, I put the cartridge in where the supply roll would go, stick a styrofoam peanut on either side to hold it in place, and tape the loose end of the roll to the take-up spool.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Once she arrives I’ll tool over to B-n-H or Adorama and pick up some film. (Oh, I love going to BH, it is so much better than church). I really don’t expect the camera to be great, I basically bought it because I thought it would look good on the shelf. If it works though, I think I might enjoy shooting with her. Thanks, I’ll keep you posted on how it goes, scan the pics and such.

orionid
    Participant

Heh. While you’re tooling over there, wanna pick me up some C-41 and E-6 Chemistry? They won’t mail it to me and I haven’t been able to make it back down to the city since I started developing. Plus, it doesn’t look like I’ll get there anytime soon, either.

sleeping
    Participant

You might try Freestyle, they will ship stuff that B&H doesn’t.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c1000-Color-Chemicals

soosh
    Participant

I’ve got an argus like that, but it’s not that clean. I’m pretty sure it’s nonfunctional.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Heh. While you’re tooling over there, wanna pick me up some C-41 and E-6 Chemistry? They won’t mail it to me and I haven’t been able to make it back down to the city since I started developing. Plus, it doesn’t look like I’ll get there anytime soon, either.

Seriously, if you wanna work something out, I can pick it up, pack it and ship it out. Email me (my user name)@gmail. Shoot, any excuse to go in there and buy something, not just stand around and drool…they hate that.

ennuipoet
    Participant

My Argus, she’s got a hideous fungal infection, so shooting a roll through her probably not so much.

Und Ihr my latest, a Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex Ia
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4550965803_af68b8d9c1.jpg

Her lens looks pretty good, so I am going to run a roll through her soon. Hopefully in time for the “Square” contest.

Link to whole set http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/sets/72157623804594909/

orionid
    Participant

Ooh, shiny!

staplermofo
    Participant

My Argus, she’s got a hideous fungal infection, so shooting a roll through her probably not so much.

You know, it’s so old you could probably take the lens apart just by unscrewing it, then scrub the couple elements it has and put it back together easily enough.

ennuipoet
    Participant

You know, it’s so old you could probably take the lens apart just by unscrewing it, then scrub the couple elements it has and put it back together easily enough.

I hadn’t thought about that…my mindset being all to modern where the idea of opening a lens is kind of like the thought of opening a puppy…except that I’m a Vet Tech and have been party to the opening of many a puppy, which is where that metaphor breaks down.

sleeping
    Participant

It can be done, I cleaned the taking lens on my Autocord with Isopropyl alcohol and that seemed to kill it off quite effectively. If the fungus has gotten inside one of the element groups themselves, you might not be able to get in there and get it out though….

You might need a spanner: http://www.amazon.com/Lens-Spanner-Wrench-Camera-Enlarger/dp/B000HRD0K8

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Argus 40 TLR’ is closed to new replies.