Assistance with Blowouts

Forums Forums Get Technical Tips & Tricks Assistance with Blowouts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    QuickSilver
    Participant

Since going to the digital format, I have noticed that most of my sunset and sunrise photographs have varying degrees of blowout. I would like to pick the brains of you, my fellow farktographers, to see how you handle this problem. I am of course assuming that this is not a camera specific problem, (Sigma SD10), and falls more in the area of operator ignorance and or error. Would really like some input on this as I am planning a trip to the Bahamas later this year where I am told the prospects are excellent.

As always your information is appreciated.

millera9
    Participant

Sadly, high contrast scenes are one of the areas where digital really hasn’t caught up with film at all. Your best bet, as far as I know, is to learn the HDR methodology and take a tripod with you everywhere you go. Other than that, I don’t know what to tell you. I struggle with the same problem and I’ve just learned to not take shots that have both bright highlights and deep shadows. I’m always disappointed by the outcome. Sunsets are really tough.

Analogy
    Participant

If your camera is clean enough at its lowest ISO you can underexposure the picture slightly to get your highlights back then bring the midtones back up in post.

sleeping
    Participant

Try taking your meter reading from the sky, not including any ground, trees, etc or the sun itself. This is easy if you have an exposure lock button, or you may be able to do it on manual.

QuickSilver
    Participant

Try taking your meter reading from the sky, not including any ground, trees, etc or the sun itself. This is easy if you have an exposure lock button, or you may be able to do it on manual.

A preliminary test of this method shows that it is indeed helpful in the blowout situations. It was overcast here at sunset and I couldn’t fully test it but in the next few days I hope to get in some test shots to play with. Thank You Sleeping, You are wide awake with your photography knowledge.

sleeping
    Participant

A preliminary test of this method shows that it is indeed helpful in the blowout situations. It was overcast here at sunset and I couldn’t fully test it but in the next few days I hope to get in some test shots to play with. Thank You Sleeping, You are wide awake with your photography knowledge.

I can’t claim credit for that, I believe I got it from “Understanding Exposure” by Bryan Peterson. It’s basic, but I found it was pretty helpful, apart from his tendency for stupid cute names for his rules of thumb….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Assistance with Blowouts’ is closed to new replies.