Astrophotography

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk Astrophotography

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

5D MKII is on sale at Newegg… $200 off. So yeah, I ordered one. Hopefully the skies will be clear and I can got some first light action. Looks like the Orion nebula complex is favorably positioned, we’ll see what the kit lens at 100mm does for it. Will have to use my old crappy mount made by Barney Rubble, tho… limits me to 2 mins exposure thereabouts. But, I’m planning on testing it all the way up to ISO 25600, so 2 minutes really aughtta be plenty.

ravnostic
    Participant

Chupathingie–still out there? I’m shooting with a Canon xTi 10.2 Mpxl, prime focus via a Celestron 11″ Schmidt Cass, 2800mm focal length. Thus far, I’ve been fairly disappointed in lots of ways; planets are affected by seeing conditions (I got one good one of Jupiter a month ago; my registax doesn’t acknowledge my images, perhaps because of the file size? Or seeing cond.?) Thusfar, however poor they may be, I have pics of every planet, though I’ve yet to identify which blip is Pluto.

I got into the astrophotography in earnest while I was unemployed (bad timing, but I had the scope and the camera so what the hell..). I’ve been star-gazing for 30 years, have pictures from 25 years ago from a film 35mm camera (no scope, though). Anywho, I bought a reducer for my CPC 1100, so I can reduce exposure by 3x, and increase FOV; just in time for the Jupiter-Uranus conjunction. I have on order a LPR filter, which should also help things considerably.

Can you recommend a good freeware program that will allow me to stack galaxies and planets? On planet stacking, should I be taking shots that are technically correctly exposed (i.e. light levels), or shots that are underexposed so the software can ‘add each’ to each other? My next toy will probably be the polar mount; I’m working overtime at my new job, should be able to afford it by the end of July (as I have other obligators to pay back, I can’t just spend the OT money on my toys, and the polar mount is a $400 toy.)

I hope to get images that I can stack like I’ve seen on sites elsewhere.

And it’s been 6 months–anything new to show us from your part of the globe?

chupathingie
    Participant

Wow, it has been a while since I checked in! I did take a few images with the 5DII, but since I’m still trying to get to grips with the software alternatives in linux I couldn’t tease anything impressive out of them. My AP dreams are just going to have to wait for a while. 🙁 I’ll console myself with panoramas and the 8mm fisheye I just bought… 360X180 panos in 3 shots. I need to get a bracket made to drop the no-parallax point on top of the head’s pivot point, but that’s at least affordable for now. I knew I should have dropped the coin on the Losmandy when I had it! LOL

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Astrophotography’ is closed to new replies.