Best Camera and telephoto lens for 1,000 and under?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Best Camera and telephoto lens for 1,000 and under?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Killerclaw
    Participant

I really don’t know shit about camera pricing but:

I’m going to Japan over the summer for school and want a better camera, I’m thinking about finally going DSLR. I might be willing to spend 1,000. Should I wait until I have a job and get a really really nice camera or get a starter DSLR now? If I was to get a starter and a nice lens (Looking for a big zoom to play with) what would you recommend. I’m willing to go used.

(Should I just wrestle with the Olympus sp550 and it’s very well hidden capabilities?)

staplermofo
    Participant

A D40X and 18-200mm?

staplermofo
    Participant

I was not expecting to be the only reply.

andyofne
    Participant

I was not expecting to be the only reply.

Honestly, I can’t say one way or the other what the BEST camera might be; however, I’m rather happy with my recently purchased Canon Digital Rebel XTi. I bought it with the 18-55mm lens and added a Canon EF 75-300mm telephoto lens and the total price was under $1000… in fact, I think it was just over $800. But adding a memory card, UV filters, a spare battery and an IR remote has probably pushed me to the $1000 “limit”.

Killerclaw
    Participant
    SilverStag
    Participant

broadway photo is reputed to be one of the crooks that will never let you get one of the sale prices-

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,107855-page,1/article.html

Killerclaw
    Participant

broadway photo is reputed to be one of the crooks that will never let you get one of the sale prices-

😯

ah, thanks for saving me a lot of hassle.

andyofne
    Participant

😯

That TFD thread didn’t go so well last night, did it?

I have a buddy who works down the street from B&H photo and he swears by the store.

Killerclaw
    Participant

😯

That TFD thread didn’t go so well last night, did it?

I have a buddy who works down the street from B&H photo and he swears by the store.

No, it really didn’t. I don’t understand why that guy was jumping down my throat just because I’m not an expert photographer but want to upgrade anyway.

SilverStag
    Participant

adorama is selling D40 refurbs with a warranty for $399.

Killerclaw
    Participant

The main use of the camera will be low light and motion, I take some concert pics for my blog. I’d also like it to be great with landscapes, though most any camera is good for outside stuff that isn’t moving. So the main concern is concert photos.

I was playing with my Aunt’s Canon Eos, I liked it. I’ve heard good things about it as well.

I think I’ve made up my mind on a Canon XT. Is this a good idea?

3Horn
    Participant

The Canon’s aren’t bad at all. I would still recommend a Nikon D50 though.

Killerclaw
    Participant

I ended up buying an EOS XT, the kit lens, the 70-200mm lens, and the f/1.8 50mm lens.

staplermofo
    Participant

I ended up buying an EOS XT, the kit lens, the 70-200mm lens, and the f/1.8 50mm lens.

Welcome to my to-mug list.

Analogy
    Participant

I’m guessing it’s the 70-200 f/4 without IS?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Best Camera and telephoto lens for 1,000 and under?’ is closed to new replies.