Best lenses.

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Best lenses.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    soosh
    Participant

that is cool. I didn’t realize it did that.

it’d be a great lens for reversing on the end of a tele macro, for those microscopic shots.

here’s a sage leaf with a macro lens:

here’s the same leaf with a 50mm reversed on the 100mm lens used to take the above:

corsec67
    Participant

that is cool. I didn’t realize it did that.
    here’s the same leaf with a 50mm reversed on the 100mm lens used to take the above:

I can’t use the 20mm f/1.8 backwards because it vignets too much. The retrofocal design makes it really complex.

Yeah, I use a Minolta 45mm f/2 that I have laying around. Since I don’t have a Minolta camera, I don’t care about hurting the mount. (I have to stop the 45mm to f/4 since it is so soft at f/2) The filter size of the Minolta lens (49mm) is the same as my macro lens, so that matches up really nicely.

soosh
    Participant

I haven’t tried reversing anything on my 180mm macro. that could be fun.

what is that image?

corsec67
    Participant

I haven’t tried reversing anything on my 180mm macro. that could be fun.

what is that image?

Diamond blade on an angle grinder. That is full magnification on my 100mm+45mm, and almost full sensor(APS).

soosh
    Participant

cool. I’ve always wanted an angle grinder.

swampa
    Participant

I find the Sigma 20mm f1.8 a bit soft at the 1.8 end but it isn’t that bad that it can’t be cleaned up nice in post. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a lot better though – much sharper and a lot quicker to focus (I find the 20mm is very slow on auto focus, and switching to manual is a pain as you have to remember to switch it on both the camera and the lens)

The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is amazing – I want to do such naughty things to that lens! So quick to focus and ridiculously sharp. It is making me lazy at concerts as I can now take a heap of photos (both headshots and group shots) without needing to move. The macro they claim on this lens isn’t that special – it seems they have just moved the minimum focus distance forward by about 15″ over the old version (good for taking photos up peoples nose, not good for taking photos of bugs or small things)

I have figured out how to use the macro function on the Sigma 150mm f2.8 – it makes a lot more sense now. Fairly slow to focus and tends to hunt a lot, it is much better just to leave it in manual and move yourself. Very sharp though.

orionid
    Participant

Jeebus. Those micro shots are pretty farkin schweet.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I picked up a Leica/Panasonic 25mm f1.4 secondhand that I really like. It is for the FourThirds mount, so it works as a 50mm. Pretty good bokeh, and sharp too. Great for indoor, ambient-light shots.

3Horn
    Participant

The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is amazing – I want to do such naughty things to that lens! So quick to focus and ridiculously sharp.

I may have to take look at that then. I ended up grabbing the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 instead of the Sigma 20 or 30, because it was only $200 new. I think I’m pretty well covered for fast lenses on the wide/medium sides with the 10.5, 35 & 50, but I’m really starting to need a good, fast tele.

I have a cheap Nikkor 70-300, but as time has gone by, I’ve definitely run into its limits, even in daylight settings.

lokisbong
    Participant

I really want a decent zoom lens next. has anyone here had any experience with the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS? I can’t get to expensive.

Curious
    Participant

stupido is your panorama of the river at new orleans? below jax brewery? and if so when was it taken?

Curious
    Participant

i bought my konica/minolta maxxum 7D just as they were getting out of the camera business and got (for the time) a good deal on it. the kit lens is a konica/minolta 18-70 AF DT macro 3.5-5.6 which is actually a carry over from their autofocus film cameras. so there’s the whole crop factor thing plus it isn’t particularly fast. ok, compared to what you guys are talking about it’s slow. but overall i’m happy with the pictures and the overall quality of the lens.

i also bought a tamrom AF 75-300 4-5.6 LD TELE-MACRO for roughly $175. budget was a big factor here. it too is a film lens so has the crop factor thing. and as you can tell it needs lots of light. have had mixed results with it. the auto focus doesn’t produce consistent results in sharpness which may be just softness at large apertures or may be a focus problem with the camera. test result have been mixed. i can get good sharp shots with manual focus but again consistency is lacking.

and both are no where near real macro. a set of kenko extension rings solves that if one is willing to have really shallow DOF.

so it’s use this camera with it’s limitations, go back to the minolta 7i with it’s limitations (fixed lens DSLR) or go back to film with it’s limitations.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • The topic ‘Best lenses.’ is closed to new replies.