Big Honking Changes In Fark Voting

Forums Forums News Bibliostats Big Honking Changes In Fark Voting

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

http://www.fark.com/comments/6845518/New-feature-Favoriting-comments#new

CiSS: You are going to have to break out the jacks and get the Biblio up for a tune up.

Not sure how I feel about the split voting in Farktography threads, people have been asking for it in photoshop threads for a while.

I suspect I shall get over it.

lokisbong
    Participant

So they are just gonna fuck with us and split the normal voting thing. I am not at all sure I like that. The voters are fickle enough the way things were. I can see this causing a drop in total voters willing to even vote in the first place.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

So are those going to be the same options for Farktography contests (smart or funny)? I guess I’m going to have to see it in action first before passing judgement, but I think I’m with loki in that I’m not sure that’s a good thing for us. Either way, I think you’re right, ennui, it looks like a bunch of work to update the scraper and Bibliostats. And I’m heading out Thursday for my team’s bowl game Friday with Sat being NY eve, so if the changes are significant, it may be Sunday after this contest before I can get to them.

I guess I need to solicit input from everyone on how to handle stats now. Any ideas? Assuming smart and funny are the two voting options, do we track separate stats for each vote type, merge the two into some kind of master vote, just ignore funny, or …?

sleeping
    Participant

So are those going to be the same options for Farktography contests (smart or funny)?

Going by the PS contests, it’s Best instead of Smart for contest threads…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, thanks to ennui‘s heads up and sleeping‘s pointing out that current PS contests already have this change, I was able to test the scraper against the new layout and make the required changes. Turned out to be fairly simple. BTW, if anyone sees anything like this coming, I do appreciate a heads up. It keeps me from having to scramble for changes when the contest opens late Wed night.

As it is now (and likely will be for this contest at the very least), votes will only be tallied for the Best voting result. So, one question remains: what do y’all want to do (if anything) about tracking Funny votes?

staplermofo
    Participant

So, one question remains: what do y’all want to do (if anything) about tracking Funny votes?

Could you represent the votes as wagging internet penises?
    Regular contest votes would be length, funny would be width, and smart would be how vigorously it’s wagged. Then you could add herpetic lesions when people break a rule, a wart if they vote whore with kids or boobs, and a syphlitic chancre if they don’t vote for anyone else.

ravnostic
    Participant

Wow. That is a serious dynamic change.

ennuipoet
    Participant

The voting change has been bouncing around for about 2 years, ever since a Farker told Drew at a Fark party people wanted it. (Although I don’t recall taking a vote) The operating idea was that technical brilliance was being trounced by cheaply done cliches. The second voting button is supposed to allow the voter to recognized hard work and effort and still vote for the beer looter slapped on every god damn shop.

None of that, thankfully, applies in Farktography. In our threads the funny needs to be combined with the good to bring the votes. Could the scraper just tally all votes cast for an image and combine them into one number? So if you receive 9 votes for Funny and 11 for Best you receive 20 votes. It may inflate our voting totals but I suspect it will not much change the overall placement of an image in a theme.

I’m spitballing for ideas at the moment.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Could the scraper just tally all votes cast for an image and combine them into one number?

That’s certainly possible and is one option. My concern if we do that is whether that will put the casuals at more of a disadvantage, since it’s possible that regulars will vote for themselves for both Funny and Best as well as inform their regular followers to do the same, whereas the casuals (both entrants and voters) might not know to do that. Of course, it’s probable that the casual entrants don’t care about the stats or voting results anyway.

I’ve created a poll and discussion thread to get some feedback on this topic.

orionid
    Participant

I say if “the people” were demanding change, we just replace the vote button with a “like” button and integrate it with the bookedface, and watch the votes explode through the thousands.

Farktographer
    Participant

I’d rather focus on making good-quality images. If votes are tallied as both “good photo” and “funny,” I think people will focus more on how to make their photographs hilarious. While some people can handle that no problem, I’m in no way at that level of photography yet…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I just think ultimately since they’re two separate voting categories, it only makes sense to count them separately. The question then becomes what to do with historical stats. Maybe we should lump historical stats in with the new “best” category and have “funniest” be a separate category?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

That seems to be the majority choice with 42% of the votes in the poll right now, Els, and to me it makes the most sense.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Big Honking Changes In Fark Voting’ is closed to new replies.