Black and White shots

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Black and White shots

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I liked these. YMMV. From a road trip this past Sunday. Shot specifically with black and whites in mind for a good part of the trip.

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/jan/26/b-w/miami.html

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Nice, rav. Abandoned truck, hwy 188, and miniature building in particular.

Do you notice any differences in your approach (composition, camera settings, etc) when you’re shooting with B+W in mind?

ravnostic
    Participant

I did, actually. I tried to not have anything too bright, or too dark, in particular. Though I can shoot in monochrome, I figure in a ‘real’ camera, you have to see in color, so I shot in color and converted after. That lead to some ‘fails’, but also taught me some things. My favorite, by far, is the truck with the tires; the one at ISO 800 came out particularly deliciously grainy, IMO, and I may post process that to look even more so at some point.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

the cats cracked me up. had to stare for a while, blink and readjust.

cool stuff.

Curious
    Participant

rav having converted a few (ok just two) i’d say your abandoned truck was a school bus.

ravnostic
    Participant

Yeah, ELO the cats make that shot (it’s better bigger, of course).

Curious, I think you’re right; I do have shots of the bus, though it’s not your typical yellow, it was blue; it’s one of the potentials for ‘abandoned by people’. What’cha convert them into? It was a neat old thing; but I had to clean the outside back window to get a good shot inside.

Curious
    Participant

here’s a photo of the first one although you can’t see much of it. it was a ’63 chevy running gear with an earlier blue bird body. i’d made a camper of it. liked it so much i bought a ’61 chevy with a ’51 body from some little school district in AR. also a full sized ’65 which was going to be converted and sold. unfortunately this was in the mid ’70s when gas was hard to get and the mileage on them was poor. just the one shown was converted. the full size was gutted and then used to move here and sold as is. the ’61 was abandoned on my then GF uncle’s farm.

and just FYI that’s not an effective way to sell your “art” 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Black and White shots’ is closed to new replies.