Bull rider

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I usually photograph landscapes, buildings, trees, plants, animals or any number of other inanimate objects. I’ve never been comfortable doing portraits and have generally shied away from taking pictures of people. Something about the fact that people are aware of and participate in the process messes me up.

But since I’m not willing to live with that inability to capture images of people, I’ve been trying to ease into it by taking photos of people doing things where they expect to be observed. That seems like a good first step to me at any rate. I guess time will tell!

A couple of weeks ago I took a bunch of photos at a rodeo and enjoyed it. The biggest challenge was getting usable images. Things move very fast and I forgot my tripod (d’oh!)as well. So I got a lot of shots where the good bits weren’t in the frame, where the wrong things was in focus, where nothing was in focus or some laughable combination.

But I do like a few and even managed to capture four shots or one bull ride. I’m including them here for your entertainment and would welcome comments. The rider was not hurt by the way, despite the foreboding position of the guy versus the bull in the last shot.

Ready
    Set
    Go
    Ouch

caradoc
    Participant

Nice set!

Just remember – at the moment you snap that picture, people are inanimate objects, too… as long as you’re not shooting long exposures, anyway.

jpatten
    Participant

I’m not big on taking pictures of people either. they always seem to come out… Snapshotish… If thats a word… But if I ever hope to be able to make money I have to figure it out. And i think I could make money at this someday

soosh
    Participant

It is one of the hardest things to do, taking photos of strangers. My series of bus photos was basically a way of forcing myself to become comfortable with that kind of shooting, and it worked well. Like anything else, the more you do it, the more comfortable it feels.

The bull-riding shots are great. I think a monopod might be a lot more useful in that sort of situation than a tripod.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

It is one of the hardest things to do, taking photos of strangers. My series of bus photos was basically a way of forcing myself to become comfortable with that kind of shooting, and it worked well. Like anything else, the more you do it, the more comfortable it feels.

The bull-riding shots are great. I think a monopod might be a lot more useful in that sort of situation than a tripod.

I can get a bit, um… indulgent, if I’m not careful so I’ve been trying to limit the amount of gear I purchase to support my renewed interest in photography. So far that’s worked. But for a variety of reasons I think I see a monopod in my near future. Lots of people have recommended them and I don’t deny myself toys well, especially when they seem so practical.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Bull rider’ is closed to new replies.