Camera Advice

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Camera Advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sirosisoflyvre
    Participant

I have an old and mostly busted Fujica ST605N (it was free, that’s why). The lenses are in excellent shape, but the camera itself doesn’t advance film properly, and no camera shops in the St. Louis area will repair it (takes 12 weeks to ship to factory).

I’d like to buy a camera body that accepts those lenses (screw mounts). Any suggestions? It’s not my primary camera – that one’s digital. I’d just like it for fun – so the cheaper the better. Doesn’t even need to be “new” technology..

sleeping
    Participant

There are a ton of screwmount cameras out there, and the lens mount itself is cross-compatible between brands, but there are compatibility issues with open aperture metering – the meter systems varied by brand, and you generally have to stop down to meter if you’re using a different brand lens and body. Older gear didn’t have open aperture metering at all, though, so it might not be a concern. And, if you’re open to stopped down metering you can also get screwmount lens adapters for some other bodies (pentax K, minolta MD, etc)

Curious
    Participant

minolta MD are bayonet mount. i have several. see this page for picture and other general info
    http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html page has sample pictures also.

and i’m not trying to be picky sleeping the minolta thing just caught my eye since i have MC and MD both and couldn’t use them on the new digital. autofocus, yeah but not the manual.

also sirosisoflyvre from the little reading i just did it looks all screw mount are interchangeable. see the note at the picture of the M42 screw mount.

sleeping
    Participant

I know the MD/MC mount is a bayonet (Pentax K is too). I was saying they can both use M42 Screwmount lenses *with an adapter*.

Edit: Oh, and on the topic of adapters, if you want to use MD/MC lenses on a digital body, there is an adapter for the olympus/panasonic/leica 4/3rds mount, but it’s pretty pricy (like $200)

Curious
    Participant

sorry, misread your post sleeping. i have a knoica/minolta maxxum 7D and AF film lenses fit it ok w/o adapters. got it as a kit with a knoica/minolta 18-70 AF film lens and bought a tamron 75-300 AF as a second lens. the only problem so far has been that nether have a decent macro. the tele has none and the shorter lens won’t get as close as i’d like.

my XD-11 and the MD lenses for it will do 1/2 life size. the minolta 7i which is fixed lens SLR shots pretty close also. not true macro but good enough for what i want.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Camera Advice’ is closed to new replies.