Candids – critique and suggestions

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Candids – critique and suggestions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    IMeant2DoThat
    Participant

Hello all,

I’ve recently begun trying to challenge myself in both portraiture and candid photography. It is an area I’ve always shied away from, partly from fear of reprisal from an unwitting subject, partly from wanting to respect the rights of those that may not wish to be photographed, but mostly because I didn’t feel I was all that good at it.

All that said, I took the opportunity of a recent theatrical venture I was involved in to work on my skills off-stage, off-site, and at the generally off the wall cast party.

I’ve posted the best of the results here: http://www.kylemckeown.com/comedy/errors

A number of the pictures were posted just to appease the subjects therein (“Why don’t you have any pictures of meeeeee?”), but the majority are representative of my current skill level.

My questions:
    A) What are your opinions?
    B) What would you suggest in order for me to become more comfortable shooting people?
    C) What would you suggest I work on, technically speaking?

I know this is long-winded, but any response would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kyle A.M.

veruca
    Participant

I like the photos in your gallery; your subjects seem very comfortable with you and I think that makes a huge difference. I especially like the ones of the girls group singing, nice captures there.

I wish I had some hints and tips to share but, like you, have kind of stayed away from the genre. I do find borrowing a kid helps. My niece and nephew will pose for me sparingly and one of my best friends just had a baby so I get to practice there.

Just keep getting out there and trying. IMO what you’ve presented in your gallery is a great start.

Klahanie
    Participant

I like your photos. I rarely photograph people though, so no advice from me. 🙂

IMeant2DoThat
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess I’ll just keep on truckin, secure that at least y’all like my work. 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Candids – critique and suggestions’ is closed to new replies.