Canon EF lenses and expensive L glass

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Canon EF lenses and expensive L glass

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

ok, here’s a (rather poor, I admit) comparison chart, 1:1 crop. I was aiming for forcing some CA, instead what I wound up with was dark text. f4 at top, f32 at bottom.

LeicaLens
    Participant

ok, here’s a (rather poor, I admit) comparison chart, 1:1 crop. I was aiming for forcing some CA, instead what I wound up with was dark text. f4 at top, f32 at bottom.

Wow! Okay, that’s pretty damn good. There’s definitely a difference between the L and normal glass, especially at larger apertures, but not so enormous to justify the extra expenditure–for me at least (I’m talking purely from my own point of view here, considering the uses for my pictures).

Thanks!

lokisbong
    Participant

I bought a canon EF50mm 1:1.8 II today from my local pawn shop for $25. there was no price tag on it and he asked me what I was willing to pay for it.
    There was a sigma lens for something with a tiny little mount for $25 so I said the same because I wasn’t sure the auto focus would work. It works just great.

IMG_9473 by lokisbong, on Flickr
    So do you all think I got a good deal?

LeicaLens
    Participant

I bought a canon EF50mm 1:1.8 II today from my local pawn shop for $25. there was no price tag on it and he asked me what I was willing to pay for it.
    There was a sigma lens for something with a tiny little mount for $25 so I said the same because I wasn’t sure the auto focus would work. It works just great.

I bought that lens new for a friend’s birthday, and he was really happy with it. For the money (it was about 9000 yen new), I think it’s fantastic.
    So, yeah, I would say good deal.

orionid
    Participant

Awesome score. I’d say $25 is a good deal for any 1.8/50. Even a manual.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

It’s $99.95 new on B&H, so if the glass looks good and everything works, then I’d say you did well!

lokisbong
    Participant

Everything works just great. I had to not use it at 1.8 out in the desert today because it was way too much light and a max of 1/4000 of a second is the shortest exposure the camera will do. It didn’t have a lens cap but it did have the cap for the back end and a rather abused Tiffen polarizer.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, I can imagine not being able to open it up in broad daylight!

Lens caps are cheap and the fact that it had a filter on it probably means that the front element was protected (otherwise it would probably look like the filter).

Nice find!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Canon EF lenses and expensive L glass’ is closed to new replies.