Can’t afford a DSLR, running on a Olympus sp-550UZ, It sucks

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Can’t afford a DSLR, running on a Olympus sp-550UZ, It sucks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Killerclaw
    Participant

Ok, yes, it’s got a terrific zoom (18X optical) and it’s wide angle, and even has mounts for lenses so I can pretend I have an SLR. Probably is of course, the thing has a problem with noise on all of it’s settings and requires fine tuning for every situation which renders it useless for point and shoot. Even then my controls over the thing are limited, only a 4 sec exposure? WTF? And don’t get me started on how hard it is to take pics of moving objects without the sun directly over head, or how long I have to wait between pictures.

Olympus only released one lense for it, and almost all the third party ones are garbage.

I wasted 500 dollars. I’m 18 and in college. Thats 1/4 of my yearly salary.

😥 😥 😥

Once I upgrade to DSLR I should be set…I’ll be used to forcing this thing to work.

staplermofo
    Participant

Once I upgrade to DSLR I should be set…I’ll be used to forcing this thing to work.

I say the same thing, but with a 5D and a host of L lenses instead of DSLR.

There’s always going to be a better camera out there.
    Did you know they make 33mp digital backs now? With better color depth than even the best 35mm DSLRs? IT NEVER ENDS!

You’ve got a camera, you can take pictures. Focus on that.

Analogy
    Participant

You can take great pictures with any camera. Better gear makes it easier, but in the end it comes down to YOU. The other reality is that owning a camera lets you take better pictures than not owning a camera because you’re saving up for one. Be glad you have something you can go ahead and take pictures with. The practice you get from shooting with this camera and dealing with its limitations will pay off when you move up to a camera that doesn’t limit you as much.

Killerclaw
    Participant

I do just focus on taking pictures, and I can usually get the thing to take good pictures. I just expected a lot more from the feature set for the price.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Photography is similar to golf in the fact that it doesn’t matter what you have in your bag as much as the person swinging the club…. unfortunately, I suck at golf too. 🙁

schnee
    Participant

The best photo I’ve ever taken was with a disposable waterproof Fuji that I had purchased 30 minutes prior. I was so nervous about getting sand and water in my SLR (loaded with Provia slide film, with an L lens attached) that I left it in the car.

Its even got the nudity thing that has fixated ‘mofo.

You can use the Olympus to train your eye – I found that when I was shooting film, I took relatively fewer images, but I planned and visualized thousands. Now that I have a DSLR, I’ve found that earlier attention to framing and composition really pays off. Try to adopt a similar attitude. And try to find naked collegians.

staplermofo
    Participant

I have no idea what you’re talking about!

schnee
    Participant

I have no idea what you’re talking about!

I see what you did there…

staplermofo
    Participant

Sometimes I regret having posted something.
    I keep forgetting I’ve told my Mom and aunts about farktography.
    One of these they’re going to figure out how to spell it. They told me I was adopted because they thought that would be less traumatic than admitting they did the most horrible, sinful thing the world has ever known.

jpatten
    Participant

You can take great pictures with any camera. Better gear makes it easier, but in the end it comes down to YOU. The other reality is that owning a camera lets you take better pictures than not owning a camera because you’re saving up for one. Be glad you have something you can go ahead and take pictures with. The practice you get from shooting with this camera and dealing with its limitations will pay off when you move up to a camera that doesn’t limit you as much.

I agree I dont think the camera is as important as the photographer. I have taken a few really nice pictures with my cell-phone camera of all things.

boringolddoug
    Participant

About 10 years ago I sent my second son to camp with a disposable camera and he saw a shot over the lake while he was being yelled at to be somewhere else so he ran over, snapped the shot, and wasn’t even sure he looked through the viewfinder.
    Next summer I entered a shot I was really proud of in the Red River exhibition photo contest. Mike thought that was cool so he entered his lake shot. He beat me. He won an honourable mention. I was only accepted for exhibition.

As said by others. It ain’t just the camera.

jpatten
    Participant

This one was taken with the cell phone camera. I think it turned out pretty nice…

and taken on a COLD night at Disney again cell camera

Killerclaw
    Participant

=/

I’m well aware that it’s not the camera, so far most of my best shots have been with a 3.2 power shot and a cheapo advantex. I was simply stating that the camera’s interface and processor speeds are horrendous.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Can’t afford a DSLR, running on a Olympus sp-550UZ, It sucks’ is closed to new replies.