CF card woes

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk CF card woes

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    3Horn
    Participant

Heh, I just posted a somewhat similar problem concerning my D50 and a generic SD card in the “Hardware” forum. Nothing but SanDisk for me now.

da_Cheat_807
    Participant

OK, I gotta jump in here and ask-
    an earlier post said something about never using the ‘camera to computer’ cable to download pics, always using a card reader. My question is, “Why is this?”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

From what I’ve heard, using the camera-to-computer cable is battery intensive. I haven’t had a problem with it, though, and I download my pictures almost exclusively by the cable.

da_Cheat_807
    Participant

Thanks Elsinore. The battery issue I can handle (brand new 30D, good battery life thus far). I was worried that using the cable was causing other issues, compatability, etc.
    (Love your work, BTW.)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks much! 🙂

I’ve got a 30D too (love it!), and I’ve not heard of any other issues than battery drain (and I don’t see any appreciable drain, but then again I don’t use flash much). I find it much more convenient to plug the camera in rather than popping the card in and out.

Analogy
    Participant

I personally use a card reader for everything. I don’t really have a set reason for it except it just seems more natural to me. Eh.

Curious
    Participant

i too use a card reader. first it downloads faster than from the camera. make that cameras, of the three i’ve got the software installed for none are particularly quick. secondly depending on the software you get different file names and organization. with the reader it is consistent.

by file name i mean that the fuji image file is like this YYYY_MMDDimagegoup0001.jpg which may be handy if you’re looking for pictures based on date but a pain otherwise. if you use a different naming scheme based on, say subject, then you have to rename each photo. i have enough problems with pictures of the dog in amongst the “flower001.jpg” etc photos from a series of shots primarily of flowers. and once i’ve moved them the “dog” folder will end up having “flower022.jpg” etc in it.

YMMV

monkeybort
    Participant

i use a card reader as well. i’m not even sure where my camera to computer cord is.

just seems faster and i can just move all the images into the folder i want them in rather than mucking about with the canon software etc.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Card reader definitely is faster. As for the Canon software, I don’t bother 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘CF card woes’ is closed to new replies.