Cleaning Saltwater from lens

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Cleaning Saltwater from lens

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stupido
    Participant

Well, it might be rain or saltwater spray. Anyway, I got water spots on my fisheye lens (Zenitar 16mm). If it was just rain, I would wipe it with lens paper. But I am concerned that if its saltwater, that would scratch the coating. Any suggestions? (too lazy to google)

/hopes the pics of the glacier were worth it.
    //don’t know yet
    ///film!

RcMacStudent
    Participant

You can get cleaning kits that have a lens coating safe cleaning fluid that should get the spots off. See link for examples.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Relevance&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=lens+cleaning+kit&ci=428&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

/Yup, my html-fu is that weak right now. Just copy and paste.

soosh
    Participant

where’d you run into saltwater/glaciers?

I usually use Eclipse and a microfiber cloth to clean saltwater off. liberal amounts of Eclipse to basically rinse the lens, then lesser amounts to finish up.

stupido
    Participant

where’d you run into saltwater/glaciers?

Soosh, Thanks for the tips. Northwestern Fjord in Kenai near Seward Alaska.

stupido
    Participant

Well lens cleaning fluid and paper cleaned it up. Pics are scanned at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/29777746@N08/sets/

I got something scratching the film in the old camera. It does not show in the standard prints but does on the negatives when they are scanned. And yes with a 80% viewfinder and a 180 degree diagonal view on the lens there are lots with my left hand fingers…..

3Horn
    Participant

And yes with a 80% viewfinder and a 180 degree diagonal view on the lens there are lots with my left hand fingers…..

For me with my Nikkor 10.5, it’s usually my feet. But damn can fisheyes be fun, and useful too, once you start to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

stupido
    Participant

And yes with a 80% viewfinder and a 180 degree diagonal view on the lens there are lots with my left hand fingers…..

For me with my Nikkor 10.5, it’s usually my feet. But damn can fisheyes be fun, and useful too, once you start to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

I like doing landscapes trying to minimize the distortions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Cleaning Saltwater from lens’ is closed to new replies.