converting raw to jpeg

Forums Forums Get Technical In the darkroom converting raw to jpeg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ohiopyro
    Participant

is there an easy way to convert a batch of raw to jpeg?

millera9
    Participant

I’m on a Mac and I do all my editing in Aperture, which has an incredibly simple “Export to jpeg” feature. Not sure what kind of system you’re running but if it’s a Mac you should check it out, I really like it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Depends on 1) your definition of easy and 2) the program you’re using to convert RAW files 😉

Analogy
    Participant

DxO Optics does everything I will ever need in the RAW conversion/general color correction department.

ohiopyro
    Participant

thanks analogy. i will try that

Klahanie
    Participant

I use Capture NX and I have no complaints, other than it should have come free with the camera. 😉

XenPix
    Participant

I got free software with the camera that will batch convert raw to jpg, it’s pretty basic software though.

I’m running Capture One (got a free coupon for it with my memory card, wooo!) and that also has a batch “process” function which will convert to jpg amongst other things. So far it seems like a pretty good system.

If you’re going to pay out for something, trial run on everything first, see which software you like and which workflow suits your style.

agent00pi
    Participant

I use Capture NX and I have no complaints, other than it should have come free with the camera. 😉

Does said software also do noise reduction? I need some of that.

3Horn
    Participant

Does said software also do noise reduction? I need some of that.

I’ve been playing around with Lightroom, Aperture & CaptureNX recently.

Actually, I’ve been using LR for a few months, and it’s hands down the simplest to use, and the nondestructive changes are pretty nice too.

Aperture is handy on the Mac side, but not having a Mac version of Lightroom has made it difficult to do a side-by-side comparison. LR wins in my mind, simply because of so many of the presets.

CaptureNX is a dog, with a crappy interface. But it really does seem to do the best job of translating the colors in a NEF. If LR could handle NEF colors as well as CNX, I think I’d have an orgasm.

Of course you were just asking about raw to jpg conversion. I suppose it depends on what you have right now. If you have Adobe Bridge, it’ll work, but the work flow isn’t the greatest. If you have a PC, I’d say go with Lightroom. If you have a Mac, and don’t have LR, you’ll probably want Aperture.

LR & Aperture both have free trials, so go ahead and give them each a shot, and decide which works best for you.

I didn’t intentionally leave out lower-cost options, it’s just that I don’t now of any that also optimize work flow.

aprillove20
    Participant

using Bridge you can select the images you want to convert to jpeg’s and then from the Pull Down menus look under TOOLS – PHOTOSHOP – IMAGE PROCESSOR and there will some some options you can check…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘converting raw to jpeg’ is closed to new replies.