cool moonlit clouds

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery cool moonlit clouds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

A friend of mine has been hammering on me to take a pic of clouds and the moon for ages now. I’ve always had to plead not being blessed by the weather gods. It beats trying to explain how wide the dynamic range is….

Well, last night things were perfect… or as perfect as I’m likely to get… tho I still had to bracket to get clouds and moon properly exposed. The clouds just looked so surreal….

Uranus
    Participant

niiiiiccccce !

lokisbong
    Participant

Cool picture. Better than the moon shot I took last night. No clouds or anything else in the shot just moon.

9-7-2011 by lokisbong, on Flickr

chupathingie
    Participant

loki, what lens did you use on that? Nice and sharp… I took a few of the moon through a big break in the clouds after the pic I posted above, but I haven’t looked at them yet…

lokisbong
    Participant

It’s a canon ef-s 55-250 1:4-5.6 on my canon rebel xs. Hand held and sharpened just a touch in Canons Digital Photo Professional and cropped a bit in Gimp.

Edited for spelling.

chupathingie
    Participant

Nice clean, crisp lack of CA. The edges on the full-size image are sharp black/white… no sign of halos at all…

lokisbong
    Participant

I have been nothing but pleased with this lens since I got it and it is the budget version too. It seems like when I lived on the coast I got more CA. Would really low humidity help much? Because the humidity never seems to get much over 25% and lately it’s been as low as 6%. On the coast it seemed to hover at 80% or more.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah and the air quality/clarity in Nevada is about as good as you can get in the U.S. Someday I will go back to where I used to live there and retake all the pictures I took with my p&s.

chupathingie
    Participant

I have been nothing but pleased with this lens since I got it and it is the budget version too.

Looks like it’s well worth the price… beats my budget 75-300mm all to heck for sharp focus and color correction. Those UD elements make a big difference. No idea on humidity vs CA, but ow humidity usually means really transparent air. I’ve got the low humidity here, but the constant wind and turbulence normally puts the seeing into the mediocre category. It’s actually kind of neat to watch stars change color rapidly, but it doesn’t help much for imaging.

lokisbong
    Participant

yeah when I lived in northern California watching the stars were like watching christmas lights in the sky most of the time. Here they seem to just stay one color for the most part.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘cool moonlit clouds’ is closed to new replies.